• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Next stop: Kids without a clue.

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:43 AM
  • 21 Replies

Many are not aware of the major crisis going on with education.  Do you want your child to have a teacher in front of their class next year?  Do you want 30+ kids in their classroom?  SPEAK UP FOR YOUR KIDS!!!

Our nation is facing an education emergency-a catastrophe that is growing worse by the day and threatening our children's, and our nation's, future. State budget cuts are forcing the layoff of hundreds of thousands of teachers and education support professionals.

When educators lose their jobs, children lose too. They get only one shot at an education and it is not their fault they are in school during a devastating economic crisis.

More than 80 percent of school districts across the country have had to layoff educators, leading to crowded classrooms and dramatic cuts to after-school programs, arts, music, sports, and even subjects like social studies and history. In some places, the school day and school week are being shortened.

Click here - takes 2 seconds - and speak up for your kids education!

http://bit.ly/spkup4kids

Post with a bump after you have emailed!  Don't watch your kids education go down the drain and say NOTHING about it!

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:45 AM

My kids education is fine and dandy. I homeschool so he gets complete 1 on 1 with the teacher.

Delirium003
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:46 AM

My Dh was one of the 80% of layoffs!  :(  My son's class this year had 28 kids...kindergarteners at that!  Its ridiculous how many educational budget cuts there have been.

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:51 AM

I find that attitude sad bmw.  My district, as of right now, is OK, but that does not mean that other children do not have the right to have access to education!  Speaking up does not only have to happen b/c it directly effects YOUR child.  Bottom line, children shoudl have the choice to have a good education.  I am more than happy to speak out on that.

SO sad delirium - so sorry to hear that!!!

Mom2PunkRockers
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM

My kids education is just fine and dandy. My son goes to a special private school for children with developmental disabilities , and my daughter goes to one of the top ranked private schools in the country.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/thepitbullmommas      <--Click me if you love Pit Bulls!

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Once again - my children's school has been creative and avoided cuts for this year.

It is not just about YOUR kids - it is about speaking up for any kid - and protecting public education in general.

This is not about just MY children - so sad people don't look beyond their own kids!

allurasmamma
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:57 AM

bump.

This past year. My son had 19 kids in his class. The first grade class had about 10 kids this year. Even if it does not show, it could be very well true that this could all end any day.

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM

So - anyone else email?? It is super quick!

jcsg
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM

1.  I don't send out mass emails to friends and family.

2.  My mom has worked as an aid in the local school system here for 20yrs, so I'm fully aware of the problems that the schools have.

3.  Most schools depend on taxes at a local level.  And part of the problem is, people just don't want to pass levies to support the school districts.  Or, the school districts don't use the money they do get responsibly enough. 

4.  When are parents (in general) going to start speaking up for their own kids and take an active role in the schools?  It cannot always be up to other parents and educators.

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:37 AM

This is not a mass email to friend and family.

It is an email to your congress representatives!

As for point 4, I agree - but I also think being involved NOW can slow down the trickle down effect.  This issue is not going away.

ronandamy1
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:37 AM

what most people don't realize is just because their child is OK doesn't mean all kids are OK. They need to keep in mind that their child isn't the only one we are going to be depending on someday. These kids will someday run this country and take care of us. Do we want a bunch of idiots with a lack of schooling running our country? That "my kid is fine" mentality is what is wrong with our country....worry about your own and no one else. It is sad really:(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)