Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Latch System/Seat belt question...

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:47 AM
  • 20 Replies

Ok, so I was reading on here one day that you're NOT supposed to use both the latch system AND the seat belt together. Are you supposed to use one OR the other? I'm not a new mommy, but this whole Latch system thing is new to me. The latch system wasn't around when I had my 4 older kids, but I never used it with my 3.5 yr old.

Can someone please explain.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jasminesmom09
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:48 AM

yes you either install the seat with the LATCH or the seat belt

ShadowRaven
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Yup.

Quoting jasminesmom09:

yes you either install the seat with the LATCH or the seat belt

allmyblessings
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Ok next stupid question...why can't you use both? I don't remember seeing an explaination in the car seat manual as to why. And I don't remember seeing in there that it says use one or the other?

La-Belle-Vie
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Car seats are designed to handle crash forces in specific ways. While we know, thanks to federally mandated crash testing, that baby's car seat will withstand crash forces when installed with the seat belt, or with the LATCH system, we do not know if the same car seat will withstand crash forces when both systems are used at the same time. Putting two installation belts through the same belt path could put stress on the car seat shell from two different angles during a crash, causing breakage. Using two installation belts could also concentrate more crash force on a small area of the car seat.

This is why you should NEVER EVER EVER use both the lower anchors & the seat belt at the same time.

Quoting allmyblessings:

Ok next stupid question...why can't you use both? I don't remember seeing an explaination in the car seat manual as to why. And I don't remember seeing in there that it says use one or the other?

Photobucket

La-Belle-Vie
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:06 AM

I also wanted to point out that the Latch System stands for lower anchors and tethers for children.

So you can still use the seat belt or latch and tether the car seat when forward facing. There are a couple of seats that allow for tethering when rear facing (Sunshine Kids and Britax) but if you do not have those seats you should not tether a car seat when rear facing.

Also to note the lower anchors have a weigth limit as well so after a child hits the weight limit then the seat belt must be used :)

Photobucket

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM

You should only use one of the options.

Try them both and use the one that gives you the best install. I find that LATCH works best with my car seats in my car.

isra1986
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:09 AM

The latch system is those straps with the hooks on the end. In your car there shhould be metal loops in the crease of the seat, one on each side and one above the headrest. You hook the hooks into the loops.
I think the latch system is supposed to be safer than the belt.
I like it much better and it's what I use with my car seat because the car seat seems MUCH more secure, the belts hold it tight against the seat!

I am not Palestinian (although I married into the culture). I am human. I
believe in human rights for everyone. Some people may think that this
is not "our" fight, but it is to me, because no matter their religion or cultural background, they are our brothers and sisters in humanity.  I will protest right along side everyone in Palestine. I may not be able to change the world, but I can
die trying.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Yes. Some seats like the Sunshine Kids have SUPER LATCH which will allow you to use LATCH for the entire duration of the seats use due to the higher weight limit.

This is something I did NOT know about until after I got my Radians. I am so glad I learned this because I don't recall reading it in my Marathon manual.

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

I also wanted to point out that the Latch System stands for lower anchors and tethers for children.

So you can still use the seat belt or latch and tether the car seat when forward facing. There are a couple of seats that allow for tethering when rear facing (Sunshine Kids and Britax) but if you do not have those seats you should not tether a car seat when rear facing.

Also to note the lower anchors have a weigth limit as well so after a child hits the weight limit then the seat belt must be used :)

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Yes - you use either the seatbelt OR the bottom LATCH hooks.

When ff, you ALWAYS use the top tether, regardless of seatbelt or bottom latch use.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:13 AM

In my experience the LATCH always gives the better install but both should be attempted because in some cars with some seats you can get a better install with the belt alone.

LATCH is much more user friendly.

Quoting isra1986:

The latch system is those straps with the hooks on the end. In your car there shhould be metal loops in the crease of the seat, one on each side and one above the headrest. You hook the hooks into the loops.
I think the latch system is supposed to be safer than the belt.
I like it much better and it's what I use with my car seat because the car seat seems MUCH more secure, the belts hold it tight against the seat!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)