Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

whatever happened to "it takes a village to raise a child?"

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:50 AM
  • 50 Replies

Back in the day it took a village to raise a child. Friends, family, neighbors, teachers, and on and on would discipline children and everyone was ok with it. I remember being about 9 and my neighbor and I picked all the vegetables in my parents garden and tried to sell them on the corner of the road lol. My mother chased both of us with a wooden spoon and when my friend Kyle's mom got home ,his mom beat his butt. We are very well adjusted adults and we got our discipline from whoever saw the crime and then from our parents.

I am having a really hard time with all the moms on here that won't even allow the grandparents to speak to their children when they have misbehaved. Any ADULT that sees my kids behaving badly has my permission to address my kids. I don't care if you are the trashman and my kids are in the front yard throwing trash.....please tell them to knock the crap off.

I can't help but wonder if these are the same moms that won't allow me to address their bad children in my classroom. There has to be a level of accountability ladies and when your kid is sooo out of control that the police have to dole out the discipline, there isn't anything you can do about that. Quit being so stinking protective and allow your children to be disciplined!!!

*BTW I am not speaking of spanking.....I am talking about other people talking to your kids or maybe even a time out

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ronandamy1
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:53 AM

BUMP!

Jessiejack
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Those are the same parents that dont speak to their own children

southernjess3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM

i remember being a child...my moms best friends were like my other moms...and they disiplined me too....lol...i remember....lol

butterflymom6
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:56 AM

BUMP!

MommaNoonoo
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I don't have an issue with others disciplining my child when she is in their care. 

When I am there, though, it annoys the crap out of me when I have told her "no" and someone lets her do it anyway (my in-laws) or when I say "yes" and someone stops her (my SIL and mom).

I understand what you're saying completely, though, I'm a teacher too, and some parents completely overreact to classroom management.

JadeStorm
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:57 AM

The villages have changed.....thats the problem...When I was a kid the neighbors and my parents kept me in line...Now the neighbors are not raising thier own kids..so they cant raise mine 

MommyBoha
by Country Girl on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Ive seen the village these days and dont want them anywhere NEAR my kids..

beaugrl0824
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:59 AM

In the group of friends that we hang out with we all speak to a child if they are misbehaving, it doesn't matter who's kid it is. We were all raised pretty similar and have the same set of thoughts for discipline the only thing that is off limits is spanking but usually just speaking to them works wonders. 6 set of eyes is better than just one IMO

Jessiejack
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I was at a family party and I was the bad mother because I gave my kid a time out because she was throwing food. Yes the other kids were doing it too. But the other mothers saw their kids doing it and did nothing. They are also 5, 6, 8 and playing with the 1/2 empty beer bottle so time out. the other parents nothing. So as I was walking her to a time out and she was saying but the other kids were doing it it said out loud I know that but their parents are right there and you have a good parent that cares about you and you where wrong to do it. I cant control them.

TawnyR
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM
People are teaching their kids they don't have to follow other peoples rules. They are teaching them it's ok for them to be disrespectful to others. You get kids saying " you aren't my parent so i don't have to do want you say". They are also teaching them they are owed things by just handing things instead ofaking them earn them. It's sad and patheticand bad parenting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)