Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Serious question here for those who ERF

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM
  • 14 Replies

Serious question here for those who ERF

What car makes and/or models make this easier?  Getting the child in and out of the rear facing carseat is often the reason people do not choose to ERF. My ex DIL turned my grand daughter at 1 year exactly because she kept hitting her head on the door frame of her 4 door Subaru Impreza. With 2 door cars it is nearly impossible. Are SUVs easier than 4 door sedans? I expect that a 3 or 4 door truck would be pretty easy once you have climbed up into it.

Are there specific seats that make this easier?

At what age can the child get him/herself in and out of the RF seat?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaidensmommy09
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM

My son is almost 14 months and we are ERF. I have a 4 door truck and it is still a job to put him in. He is 23lbs. I'm sure it would be eaier to FF but i'm trying to do whats safest. At my 12mo Dr visit the DR said that he should definitly still be RF bc of his head-body ratio.. he has a big head =]
Oh and i'm a nanny to 3 others, and the 2.5 yo cant get herself in and out of her FF seat yet, so IDK when a child could do that RF

MommyBoha
by Country Girl on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:36 AM

I have ERFed ina 2dr cavalier, a 4dr Kia Optima and a 4dr honda accord. My DD could get into her own seat by the time she was 2.  It maybe not always be the easiest most convenient thing, but its the saf.est and thats what matters to me. There are no specific seats, just the one that fits your budget, car and kid the best. I have a Britax marathon and have used it ERF in all 3 of those cars with no problem

Karyanne24
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:37 AM
I really like the myride!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Forget-me-not
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:39 AM
Open the opposite door put your child on have him/her climb into their seat you walk around and buckle him/her up. RF is easier to buckle up anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowLark
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM

We have a minivan and that makes it easy.  My older two are now in the very back of the van and they LOVE climbing in through the trunk.  They're 2 1/2 and 3 1/2, both ERF, and they clambor over the back of the seat (we have the stroller in the trunk so they can reach) and sit down, then I buckle them in.  The baby will be in the seat behind me (two Captain's chairs, that's where the older two were until my son finished preschool for the year) so it will be a simple matter of opening the door and putting her in.  When she gets old enough for that to be ERFing, she'll fit there easily.

My son's head is small enough now that the head to body ratio thing doesn't apply anymore.  My daughter's is definitely NOT.  So I'm glad that they're both still bitsy and can rf for a while yet.  Plus, ff will be a hassle when I have to climb into the van to strap them in!  I LOVE the setup we have now!

epoh
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:45 AM
I have a Subaru outback. DD just turned ff at 31 mos. I always just had her climb into the seat, though I never had difficulties putting her in when I had to. AND I was maneuvering around an 8mo pregnant belly :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Quoting Forget-me-not:

Open the opposite door put your child on have him/her climb into their seat you walk around and buckle him/her up. RF is easier to buckle up anyway.

That's an AWESOME idea!

Were you married in 2001? If so, come join us at 2001 Anniversaries.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/17057/

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I don't know - dh and I both have sedans. 

My 2 year old climbs into his seat himself often.  We have never had an issue getting them in or out - i guess we are just used to it?

tabi_cat1023
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I have a minivan and its the only thing I have ERF in but really how hard is it not to hit your kids head on the car?  I mean its not THAT hard even in the Tiberon my dad had.  ANd thats a small car..2 door, guess we did ERF in there twice, but itw asn't hard to do.

I think my son was 2 when he could get in on his own because the van is so tall and climbing in was hard, but if we put him in the van he could climb in by 18 months.

mamalinzie
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I have a Saturn SL1 and I think having her RF is so much easier than FF.  With RF, I can sit on the seat to buckle her in. With FF I have to contort my body to get her buckled.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)