Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I got to pry. If you are a teacher read this

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM
  • 28 Replies

I start school in hte fall.  I would like to become a teacher.I think

If you do not mind me asking what grade do teach and how much money do you make?

Are teachers union?

Once you choose a grade to teach can  I decide later on to change and teach a different grade?

I want to teach because of the hours.  I want to  work but ,I also want to be with my girls.  So I thought if I became a teacher I could have the best of both worlds.....

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CAMKsMom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I used to teach special ed, K-8.  Small school in a rural town.  K-8 was 90 students.

I made 29500  but that was 10 years ago. 

Teachers can be union yes. 

You decide whether you like Early Childhood, Elementary Students, Middle School, High School or College.   You tell schools what your prefences are.  The principal and/or school decides based on your preferences, skills, and their needs what you are going to teach.

I went into teaching because I love helping kids become lifelong learners and believe that all students can learn if given the patience, humor and resources.  Teaching is not a 9-3 job.  There are papers to grade, lessons to create, parents and kids to talk to, school events to chaperone, and professional development just to name a few. 

Logansmommy34
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM

wow sry.... but personally i think part of the problem is that ppl want teaching jobs only because of the money and the hours... which hey thats great i understand that! BUT! i also think that you should be wanting to teach because you love children and teaching... sry but my mom worx for our local school district and part of the prob is that most of them only want the pay and the hours... What makes a great teacher is the persons desire to teach our children...  not go and work the required hours, and have the summer off...

skymcr
by Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I think your salary depends on the state that you are living in. You should search new teachers salaries just to get an idea. Overhere, new teachers start making about  $40,000.

ginevra42
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I am a middle school teacher. Here is the US you  usually study early childhood and elementary or secondary.  So depending on what age group you study, you can move within that.  For examply, I am secondary, so I could move up to high school.  Check with your state's requirements to help you decide. Also look into the Highly Qualified requirements if you are considering special ed.  When you teach in the middle and high school, you also need subject areaexpertise for special ed.  Also for English as a Second Language, which is what I teach.  I would recommend that you take some classes in bothe special ed and ESL no matter what you decide to focus on.  Both are groups of students that continue to have high numbers.  It makes you more marketable if you can tell principals that you have some background in how to work with these populations. 

As for salary, I make $54,000 with 9 years experience and a Master's degree.  Teaching is a great profession, be prepared to take a lot of pressure for getting good test scores though. Yes, teachers do have unions.  You have to pay dues, but they can be useful in case something weird happens and you have to defend yourself for whatever reason.  They also help protect jobs.  I was going to be "displaced" my first year, meaning that I would have to choose a different job in another building because of changing needs.  My union rep went with me to make sure I wasn't railroaded.  As it turns out, it was unnecessary and I stayed where I was, but it was nice to have someone on my side.

Devyn
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:28 AM

when you go to school you will have to choose between being an elementary, a secondary or a special ed teacher - all different majors. If you have a secondary degree you can teach 7th - 12th grade, ES is Kdg to 6th grade (in some states its 5th or even 4th). My DH has an ES degree and teaches 6th grade at a public intermediate school here in PA . He is part of their teacher union and has been teaching for 11 years and has a masters equivallancy. He makes over 50k with fantastic benefits

Devyn
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Quoting Logansmommy34:

wow sry.... but personally i think part of the problem is that ppl want teaching jobs only because of the money and the hours

the money? seriously? teachers dont make near as much as they should.

Logansmommy34
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM

lol please... teachers start out at way more than most jobs... so yeah it is the money! Holy shit i mean come on in my small town they start out at 40,000 a year and they only work 9 months out of the year! my fiance works 70 hours a week all year long for 32,000 a year... so figure out how much they make an hour for 9 months out of the year! its ridiculous. i mean i understand they have improtant jobs! but so do cna's, and they dont get paid crap.

shajdinyak
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM
totally agree.!!teachers do not make as much as they should. currently i am choosing to work pt so i can b with dd. with a masters degree and 8 yrs in public school i am making 11 dollars an hour teaching preschool.

Quoting Devyn:

Quoting Logansmommy34:

wow sry.... but personally i think part of the problem is that ppl want teaching jobs only because of the money and the hours

the money? seriously? teachers dont make near as much as they should.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Okay, I am not a teachr but DH was and I have family that is so I hope you don't mind me answering.

He taught high school math and taught for 4 years.  When he quit teaching in 2008 he was making $31000 a year. 

Many schools are part of teacher unions but not all so you would have to see if a paticular school is.  The schools DH taught at were not.

When you get your degree and get certified you either get certified in elementary education or in a certain subject for middle school and high school education.  If you get certified in elementary education you can teach any grade K-5 or maybe 6.  It is the same degree for all of them.  For the higher grades you can teach any grade 6-12 in your subject area be it English, Math, Science, whatever. If you get a elementary education degree you cannot teach high school with it and if you get a secondary(middle school and high school) degree you cannot teach elementary with it.

In one way you are right about the hours but please be aware of all the extra work teachers do.  They are usually required to be to the school early and leave later then the students.  There is also a lot of grading and lesson planning to do at home.  Teachers are reqired to work many days students are not in school such as at the beginning of the summer and before school starts and then the inservice days.  You also have to take more course to stay certified so many of them will take the courses over the summer. 

I am in no way trying to discourage you from teaching.  It is a wonderful job and the people who do it well are heros in my book because they are educating the youth.  I just want you to be aware that it is not a job that you go to from 8:00-3:00 only 5 days a week and 9 months a year.  It is a lot more then that and although you don't get paid much it is very rewarding in other ways. 

slm047
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I'm currently not a teacher but that's what I have wanted to do my entire life. The fact that I have children that I want to be home with just helps my decision even more.

I'm attending a 2 year university to get my Associate's in Arts then going to a 4 year university to get my teaching degree.

I want to teach Spanish and History =).

BUMP because I know I didn't answer any of your questions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)