Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is she too young?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM
  • 67 Replies

My daughter just turned 3 June 5th, and my husband and I are debating on getting her a small pet, like a hamster, turtle, lizard, gerbil..etc lol. Depending on what she would pick out. She was very gentle with a few toads we found outside, and she is fully potty trained finally, so we thought this would show her how proud we are of her..so my question is, is she too young, do your daughter/sons have small pets, how old were they when they got a small pet?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maddiesmamma717
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Why not get her some of the zhu zhu pets with the house and stuff? see how she does with those and then move onto something living?

harvgal04
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM

My kids are soon to be 3 and soon to be 2 and we are buying a puppy, but thats mainly for me *shh* dont tell the kids that LOL I think she is at a good age.

chocokitty88
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM

My son is 18 months and he's got a beta fish he calls "gook"....but I guess that doesn't count since a fish is decoration imo, lol.

If she can handle it at that age I'd say go for it. It will probably help her learn responsibility? :)

mommymary6507
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM

we did lol. They broke..but they aren't living.

She specifically asked for those when she was doing well with the potty, so we went and got her 2, but she didn't like them cause she thought they were alive on tv! haha.

Quoting maddiesmamma717:

Why not get her some of the zhu zhu pets with the house and stuff? see how she does with those and then move onto something living?

butterflymom6
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM

i think something in a tank or cage is ok for sure .... we got our son a dog when he was 5 and after a few weeks he was done takin care of him ..... but he does seem to take more interest in tank and caged animals

nikki241
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I do think its a sweet idea but just remember kids get bored very easily and you will be the one that ends up looking after the animal. so if your ok with that then go for it!

CAMKsMom

I don't think she's too young as long as you understand that you'll be providing 99.5% of its daily care.

My dad thought animals were for eating (He grew up on a farm and wasn't allowed to have pets) and so I didn't have a pet until I was 10.  My first pet was a hamster. 

KristenFowles
Just got my 2 & 3 year old a pit bull/mastiff mixed pup. They're fabulous with him.. it was important to us that they grew up with a dog.... not sure how well they'd do with a rodent type pet though..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommymary6507
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:25 AM

yeah, my husband would rather get her a puppy. But our apartment is so small, and they are high maintenance lol.

Quoting harvgal04:

My kids are soon to be 3 and soon to be 2 and we are buying a puppy, but thats mainly for me *shh* dont tell the kids that LOL I think she is at a good age.

Jessiejack
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:25 AM

no she is not to young. You just have to teach her. A Bunny is a wonderful pet. A hamster was hard to take care of as you could not really hold it it got loose to many times. Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)