Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hermit crabs?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:31 AM
  • 13 Replies

DH and i were thinking of getting our 3yr old DD Christiana one when we head down to South Carolina next week.  my question is, are they hard to take care of? should we let it go after our vacation? how long do they live for? what do we feed it? do they need a big cage? can we keep 2 in one cage? thanks!

Obladi oblada life goes on bra- Lala how the life goes on

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luv2wahm
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Maybe it's because of our drier climate...but we never had any luck with hermit crabs...we would keep the area moist and do everything we were supposed to do and we had 2 that died...so we haven't gotten any since.

mistie900
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I've heard they don't live long at all. But other than that I don't know anything about them.

Mom2Christiana
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM

BUMP!

marissaj125

mine lived for over a year and i had 2 in a cage. they are so fun! and not hard at all! i took care of them when i was 7 years old so they are easy. just make sure you soak up their sponge everyday with fresh cold water!

Brianav
Petsmart has hermits and the people that work there will have all the answeres. I have had 3 hermits and they lasted for about a year...then died:( lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marissaj125
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:37 AM

oh and i always got new ones when they passed away. but i remember them living for awhile, and they do get noisy at night. lol.

Brianav
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:37 AM
Btw they can live for years ad years...like a dog.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReagansMomy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM
I've had mine for several years. They are a lot of fun but need more than ppl think to stay healthy. They do best in grps of 3 or more. Definitely read up before getting them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytomyloves
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM

we got our 4 year old son one and we have had it for about 2 months he loves helping me spray it everyday and my 1 year old dd loves to play with it to. i don't know how long the live but ours is doing fine and likes for us to let it out and put it on the floor and it likes to climb so bye stuff for it to climb on..

Mom2Christiana
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM

what do you mean...spray it? lol

Quoting mommytomyloves:

we got our 4 year old son one and we have had it for about 2 months he loves helping me spray it everyday and my 1 year old dd loves to play with it to. i don't know how long the live but ours is doing fine and likes for us to let it out and put it on the floor and it likes to climb so bye stuff for it to climb on..

Obladi oblada life goes on bra- Lala how the life goes on

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)