Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone please explain something to me?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM
  • 20 Replies

Yesterday just after dark, a friend of mine was kidnapped out of her house by her ex. He brought her to the marsh where he raped and beat her. She played dead and he left and she was able to get help and she is going to recover (thank god). The man was arrested and is being held without bail. The part I don't understand is, the news has not said a word about it. They didn't even include his name in the arrest report. Wouldn't you think that something like this would be reported all over the news? Haylee almost died, and would have if he had kept going, but the news doesn't think the people should know? What are your thoughts?

The extent of American ignorance continues to amaze me

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lostandfound34
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:48 PM

give it time I am sure it will hit the news

chelleybeans
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:49 PM

If it were me, I wouldn't want it all over the news.

mnmsmom2008
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM

He might not have his name released until the arraignment.  Also, things of that nature are sometimes kept private for the sake of protecting the victim's identity. 

N-o-e-l
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Quoting chelleybeans:

If it were me, I wouldn't want it all over the news.

Trying to Conceive Ticker

Noël(21) & Brandon(23)
TTC since 3/1/08
M/C on 4/19/08
CP #1- 1/5/08
CP #2- 4/4/10

ditsyjo
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM

maybe she doesn't want it reported

mom2mandjax
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I didn't even think of protecting the victim. I am so mad for her that I want everyone to know what a scum bag he is, so I want the news to talk about it but now that I see your reactions I can understand it a little more. Thanks ladies.

Martina70

Obviously your friends story is newsworthy (and of course it's wonderful she is still alive) but they can only get so much content in a 30-60 minute show. With everything that is happening at a global and national level, sometimes regional stories like this get dropped.

La-Belle-Vie

Quoting mnmsmom2008:

He might not have his name released until the arraignment.  Also, things of that nature are sometimes kept private for the sake of protecting the victim's identity. 

They usually are.

I am so glad she will recover although I am sure it will be a very long road. 

CharityTipton
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:53 PM

That is where it is up to us to post the things on local outlets about this. Send emails, talk to you local government officials about getting a registry started. My cousin, her 13 yr old daughter, and her 5 week old son was murdered by her husband and come to find out that he had done time in prison for killing his former girlfriend. Had there been a way (like a registry) to let people know that he was dangerous this could have been prevented.

Punky_1981
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM

That's horrible! I'm glad she is okay. Yes, I agree, it should have been either on the news, or in the local paper, and his name should have been in the arrest report. Just for the safety of other women around. Though they wouldn't have to post her name, his picture should have been up with his name, and what happened.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)