Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What the HECK am I supposed to feed this kid!?!?!?**Updated**

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:43 PM
  • 20 Replies

Ok a little back story.  My son has had gastrointestinal problems pretty much since birth.  I had to stop breastfeeding after 6 weeks due to his chronic colic and spitting up because no matter what I eliminated he was still miserable.  He was on soy formula solely until we started adding foods around 5 months.  When he started foods he started to get really loose stools.   At 9 months they transitioned him to Lactose free formula and he did OK on that.  At a year his doctor diagnosed him with lactose intolerance and put him on Lactaid.  The Lactaid gave him stools from Hades!  His poop was so acidic it gave him chemical burns on his bum to the point that the skin was peeling.  For a lack of anything better I put him on soy toddler formula.  He drank this up until he was 2 and I put him on regular soy milk.  At about 17 months or so he started getting more table food.  Grilled cheese, etc.  The poop just got worse.  He's had a chronic diaper rash for at least the last year.  It doesn't go away. 

In February of this year his doctor had him tested for Celiac disease and the blood work came back negative.  I knew this sometimes happens so I put him on a gluten free diet anyway.  It helped a little bit but not significantly.  When he went in for his 2 year well child check (it was the end of May) he had only gained a pound!  I was concerned and his doctor just brushed it off.  He went from being in the 75th percentile in weight to the 10th.  That IMO is NOT normal.  She gave me absolutely NO information what so ever and was of no help with figuring out what his problem might be.  A week later, after doing some research, I called and asked for a referral to a Pediatric Gastroenterologist.  They didn't want to give me one but I demanded that they do so.  Wednesday of this week we went and saw the doctor.

This is where the problem starts...

My son has gone from being Lactose intolerant to having a milk protein allergy.  He can have NO dairy of any kind.  No cheese, yogurt, etc INCLUDING foods that contain milk and whey.

He does NOT have Celiac Disease but the doctor believes he may have a wheat allergy not an actual gluten intolerance.  He is only allowed to have wheat twice a week in small quantities.

He is not allowed to have ANY fruit or juice.  The doctor believes he may have a sensitivity to fructose.

He will not eat meat of any kind and also will not eat eggs.

He has texture problems and will not eat vegetables unless they are baby food with the exception of cucumbers, peppers and raw carrots because they are crunchy.

We will know more about his allergies and sensitivities when we get the lab results back but that could take several weeks because they ran a mulititude of blood tests as well as stool tests. 

In the mean time WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO FEED HIM????

Update

So I went to the small local grocery store here in town to see what they MIGHT have for him to try to eat.  I got all natural turkey breast,  all beef nitrate/nitrite free hot dogs, mini cucumbers, yellow cherry tomatoes, sweet potato and white beans organic baby food and 3-stage 3 gerber baby food dinners.

For dinner I cut up two slices of turkey, a whole mini cucumber and approximately 1/4 cup of tomato.  He ate about a whole slice of the turkey and the whole cucumber.  The tomato made him gag really bad and he almost got sick.  I haven't tried any of the other things I got yet.  I'm shocked he ate the turkey.  Before he went to bed he had 8 ounces of formula.

I just feel like he isn't eating enough.  He gets really cranky when he's hungry but will rarely eat anything I offer him. 

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jmill907
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:45 PM

BUMP!

MegHPand3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:46 PM

IM glad you stuck to your guns and demanded the referral. I dont have any advice other than to look at a natural food store--they might not have everything you need, but they are much more clearly labeled so you know EXACTLY what is in the food since he has so much that he cant have. And you can also experiment with foods and find some stuff that he will eat.

MommyToTwo0408
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:47 PM

That's a tough one, maybe ask for a referral to a nutritionist so you can get a list of foods okay for him to eat. 

itzjustbabyfat
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Wow, I haven't a clue on what to say. So here's a BUMP

jltplk25
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:49 PM

WOW. Im going out on a limb and asking if he can have rice? Oatmeal? You can buy barley bread at a health food store. What about beans? I know you said he has issues with texture...

I really am not sure what to suggest but I hope you get some answers soon. Good luck!

AjsMom0508
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM

I have asked for one... I'm still waiting to hear from the office they referred us to.  They are booked until November so I'm waiting for a cancellation.

Quoting MommyToTwo0408:

That's a tough one, maybe ask for a referral to a nutritionist so you can get a list of foods okay for him to eat. 

omima
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Quoting MommyToTwo0408:

chelleybeans
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I dunno. My son has a milk protein and soy allergy. If it doesn't contain milk, it contains soy and vice versa. It's a pain the arse big time! Just read tons of labels. In our walmart they have a gluten free section that most everything is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and peanut free. We have found he can have a lot of that stuff.

Also, b/c of the allergies and lack of weight gain they put him on an amino acid based formula for kids ages 1-10. It's called Neocate Jr. He drinks that to gain weight and to help get added nutrition. GL!

AjsMom0508
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:52 PM

On a good day he will eat rice but more often than not it ends up on the floor or he ends up puking in his high chair.  Oatmeal gives him diarrhea so I avoid it at all costs.  Beans are ok but they also tend to give him belly cramps and diarrhea.

Quoting jltplk25:

WOW. Im going out on a limb and asking if he can have rice? Oatmeal? You can buy barley bread at a health food store. What about beans? I know you said he has issues with texture...

I really am not sure what to suggest but I hope you get some answers soon. Good luck!

Jenniy
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:55 PM

load up on the baby food.  my youngest is on baby food.  He'll only eat the fruits and one stage 3 meal.  He's also on a feeding pump with a g tube.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)