Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old will your child be when you let them stay home alone?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:57 PM
  • 22 Replies

My neighbor has 3 kids,  14, 11,and 8. The 14 year old, while I know he is old enough to be alone, is responsible for caring for his younger siblings for hours everyday, even cooking them dinner. Their mom is NEVER home and even when she is, she tells the kids they have to stay outside cause she's sleeping.

The 11 and 8 year old get home from school about 30min before the 14 year old, so they are by themselves.  There have been numerous times they couldnt get in the house, and I had to help them break in. Whenever the 8 year old gets hurt, they come here. I dont mind helping them, its not their fault their mom isnt home.

I dont know how old my kids will be before I let them stay home alone, I do know I dont plan on leaving my DS in charge of my DD till they are both at least in high school. Just wondering what ya'lls thoughts were. I was staying home alone and in charge of my younger brother at age 11.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pixie_trix
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM

He started staying home alone while I ran errands/went shopping (that sort of thing) at 13.

By 15 home alone for a few hours at night while the hubs and I would go out.

By 16 home alone for an overnight.

Now at 18..  He's on his own.. LOL   We pack up and leave for a weekend or whatever, whenever we want....   Ahhhh freeedom.. LOL

teresa06
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Ill probably let her stay home at about the age I did. Well maybe not. I was like 9 or 10... so she might be like 12 or 13. Just depends how the times are and how the world has changed by then. When I was that age it was ok for me to stay home because we didnt live in a bad area, knew everyone that lived around us. So for me it really just depends.

UxorQuodMatris
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Probably around 11 or 12, as long as they demonstrate enough maturity to not kill each other or burn down the house.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

While I feel it is fine to allow a 14 to be in charge of the younger siblings (I started babysitting at age 12) I feel THIS situation is a bit extreme. It seems as though Mom is NOT involved at all, and putting all the weight on her 14 yo DAILY. That is NOT COOL.

Misurromommy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I'm a very protective mommy. So not before 15

celestegood
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM

chelleybeans
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM

I think around 9 or 10. I was babysitting when I turned 10. If my kids were those ages listed above, I wouldn't have any issues leaving them home alone. I would just have a lot of ground  rules (like no cooking, no answering the door etc).

sherri8806
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Umm prob 13 depends on how mature he is by then.

chelleybeans
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I did the same thing, my parents let me stay alone overnight when I was 15 (we had family near by though). My SIL though is 17 and her mom still won't let her stay home alone! No joke! LOL!

Quoting pixie_trix:

He started staying home alone while I ran errands/went shopping (that sort of thing) at 13.

By 15 home alone for a few hours at night while the hubs and I would go out.

By 16 home alone for an overnight.

Now at 18..  He's on his own.. LOL   We pack up and leave for a weekend or whatever, whenever we want....   Ahhhh freeedom.. LOL

judybant
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM

In HIGH SCHOOL? So you're never going to let your kids babysit for spending money? Seriously?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)