Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training, HELP!!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM
  • 3 Replies

My daughter is 2 1/2 and we've been trying so hard to potty train her for a year now. I feel like I've read and tried everything, but nothing will work.

I know they say if its just not working, stop and try again in a month, so we've taken a few breaks, but she just does not understand. She tells me when she has to go potty, and she hates diapers, but she won't go in the potty, she will stand next to it and go, but only once in an entire year did she go in the potty.

There are some complications - 1: her dad and I share custody and he has her 2 nights a week... he is a pathological liar (will so much as lie to me about what she ate for lunch or other stupid non issues just because) so I really have no idea what is going on in his house for potty training. He tells me she's 100% potty trained there, and goes on her "princess potty chair" and he has one that goes on the reg toilet to make it smaller, but ive been in his house (watched our daughter and his other son a few times for him) and there is no potty chair and she had a pull up on and a full supply of pull ups...

2: I work full time and go to school full time, and she spends a lot of time in daycare or with a babysitter.. so we have 2 days a week when I'm home and one of them in Sunday when she's with her dad the whole day.. I don't get a lot of time to work with her on training.

I've tried treats for going on the potty, candy or stickers, and for a while she was scared of the potty so she got them just for trying, but started abusing that, and now isnt scared just refuses to pee or poop IN the potty just will do it next to it.

Help!! I am getting so discouraged and shes supposed to start school in about 7 mos and has to be potty trained before then!

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
UxorQuodMatris
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Every 20 minutes or so, take her to the potty and have her sit there for a few so she can try to go.

Ask the daycare to help. They're usually really good about it.

Buy a potty seat and a full supply of underwear and take them to her dad's house.

If you really think she's ready, put her in panties. Just keep the lysol and paper towels handy, and make sure you have a lot of laundry soap lol.

Good luck.

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Hi! You might also try posting this to the Toddler & Preschool Group group - they might have more suggestions for you. :)

jltplk25
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Is the daycare doing anything to help with training? We had several kids who's parents would come in and say 'hey, we're potty training so please no diapers.' One little boy wasn't even allowed to wear pull ups unless he had an accident and ran out of underwear.

Im not sure what else to suggest. Here's a bump. GL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)