Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cheffing? Is that a "career"?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM
  • 27 Replies

My fiance continues to talk about becoming a chef. Ever since he was younger, becoming a Chef has been something that he feels very strongly about. He even talks about his high-hope dreams of owning his own 5 star restaurant and all that good stuff. I don't know allot about the field of cheffing, so can you give me some suggestions/tips/opinions? Is cheffing a good career for a family man? Is it worth the money you will have to invest in it in the long run or is it a "dead end" career? Would he start out making a good amount of money or does that come with years of experience?

Edit: Thank you all for the positive responses. I was truly very interested in this field. My fiance talks allot about it and I never really knew anything about it.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenniepepsi
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:00 PM

of course its a career!! there are whole colleges dedicated to it! you sound like you care more about yourself than his dream! why are you trying to destroy it for him? its an excellent career and he would be able to support your family just fine!

missingbelle
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Its like any other career choice and dream it takes work to get to were you need to be. If he can go to school for it the thats awsome ! It will take some money eventually like any small buisness if he decides to open a resteraunt. I can be a fantastic career !

catonastick
by Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:01 PM

If it is his dream and passion, let him live it.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Flip on Food Network Channel! If you are good you can make alot of money being a chef.....

sandra_t00
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:02 PM
Quoting catonastick:

If it is his dream and passion, let him live it.

amayabrianna
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Owning his own buisness will def. take more money in the beginning than he is going to make off of it. BUT being a chef is most def. a career. They can actually make really good money if they have the schooling and get a good job. Not that hard, but not easy either.

HadleyAzure
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Of course it's a career.  I have a friend who is a chef and his wife is a pastry chef but they make excellent money because of where we live and the restaurant charging 100 bucks a person for dinner. They also opened their own gourmet rest/catering  business.

MzSeXyC
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM

of course its a career. have you ever heard of culinary school??

im sure chefs make decent money. if thats his dream he should do it...no matter how much money he makes really. being happy in your career over money is what counts.

EternalDreams
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:04 PM

MY Dh is a chef he thinks school is a waste of time and money, but a lot of the more upscale places want a degree. They work crazy hours and most holidays.  Starting pay is not that great...you have to pay your dues. My dh has been in the industry for almost 4 years and has been lucky to get into smaller fine dining restaurants where he has continued to learn. If he and you can handle the hours apart I think it is worth it to do something you love...cooking is my dh's passion 

Idiosyncratic
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:04 PM

he could end up making millions a year if he's good enough...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)