Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know you ladies are not doctors but......... (maybe TMI) about DS

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:01 PM
  • 8 Replies

i was wondering if anyone ever had the same problem with their child/ren.

ok so last week DS had a stomache virus (diarehia TMI sorry), ended yesterday afternoon. during this virus he ate like normal, drank like normal, and so on. well this morning when he woke up at 8 he didnt want to eat or drink anything, (we thought it was because he was still tired) but then noon came around and still didnt want to eat or drink anything.he hadnt had a wet diaper for 4 hrs so we took him to the hospital fearing he would be/get dehydrated.they hooked him up to an IV to get fluid in him and ran blood tests,  all tests came back normal so they said it was a virus.....( no more diarehia, no vomiting, no fever ). he still will not eat or drink anything  even all his favorites and it is really worrying me.

has this happened to anyine elses child/ren? will it pass? am i over reacting and he will eat and drink when he wants? i'm sorry ladies i guess i just need to hear he will be alright or something.. thank you for your reply in advance ladies..

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MarissasMommy20
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Yea that would worry me too. Mainly because he wont drink anything. He probably still has the virus- there just nothing to poop or pee out.

I'm not sure how long it's ok to let a child go with out drinking anything. I believe humans in general can't go more than 3-5 days.

Keep checking him for signs of dehydration:

• Dryness of the mouth
  • Little to no tear production when crying
  • Sunken eyes
  • Sunken soft spot on the head of an infant or a toddler
  • Babies who do not have at least one wet diaper over the span of six hours
  • Children who do not urinate at least once in the span of twelve hours
  • Urine that is dark
  • Dry skin
  • Skin abnormally cool to the touch
  • Crankiness
  • Fatigue
  • Lethargy
  • Dizziness

http://infant-toddler-health.suite101.com/article.cfm/signs_of_dehydration_in_children

cage0101
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:10 PM

thank you momma. i'm just upset that they took him off the IV and sent us home when 7 hrs later he still didnt pee and that was with the IV  in... i will deffinitly keep an eye out for these symptoms of dehydration.

Quoting MarissasMommy20:

Yea that would worry me too. Mainly because he wont drink anything. He probably still has the virus- there just nothing to poop or pee out.

I'm not sure how long it's ok to let a child go with out drinking anything. I believe humans in general can't go more than 3-5 days.

Keep checking him for signs of dehydration:

• Dryness of the mouth
  • Little to no tear production when crying
  • Sunken eyes
  • Sunken soft spot on the head of an infant or a toddler
  • Babies who do not have at least one wet diaper over the span of six hours
  • Children who do not urinate at least once in the span of twelve hours
  • Urine that is dark
  • Dry skin
  • Skin abnormally cool to the touch
  • Crankiness
  • Fatigue
  • Lethargy
  • Dizziness

http://infant-toddler-health.suite101.com/article.cfm/signs_of_dehydration_in_children

ABMommy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:13 PM

as long as they pumped him full of fluids I would just offer him popcicles (pedialyte pops) as well as ice creams, etc.

Aydans_Mommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM
Try to encourage fluids more than food
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cage0101
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM

i've tried that he pushes our hands away. we have tried every one of his favorite foods (ice cream, crackers, banana, pretzels, even donuts) but nothing. he is normally a juiceaholic lol but today he wants nothing.  i just feel so bad that i cant make him better and the doctor didnt either.

Quoting ABMommy:

as long as they pumped him full of fluids I would just offer him popcicles (pedialyte pops) as well as ice creams, etc.

cage0101
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM

i'm trying, i even tried putting it in a suringe cuz he likes them but that didnt even work . my poor lil guy i just want him better

Quoting Aydans_Mommy:

Try to encourage fluids more than food

MomTo2Boys2526
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:29 PM
My daughter (20 months old) had a stomach bug a couple of months ago and she was "down" for like week after she stopped vomiting, she barely ate, barely drank and would just lay around not being her normal toddler self. I did take her to the doctors and they said she probably just didn't feel good..she never became dehydrated thankfully but it was pretty scary! Continue pushing fluids and just let him rest
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cage0101
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

thank you momma i will push fluids and let him rest/sleep. i hope he gets better soon i feel so bad for him

Quoting MomTo2Boys2526:

My daughter (20 months old) had a stomach bug a couple of months ago and she was "down" for like week after she stopped vomiting, she barely ate, barely drank and would just lay around not being her normal toddler self. I did take her to the doctors and they said she probably just didn't feel good..she never became dehydrated thankfully but it was pretty scary! Continue pushing fluids and just let him rest

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)