Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 great benefits of pet adoption...for you and your pet.

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:16 PM
  • 33 Replies

you are saving more than one life- you saved the animal you adopted, plus you freed up a cage or foster home, thus allowing another animal to come in and receive the help it needs.

you'll receive education and an owners manual for your new pet-a reputable shelter know everything about an animal before it gets adopted out.  if there are issues, they will tell you.  they will provide you with information about your new animals personality, temperament, habits, and give you training advice.

you'll have a wide variety of animals to choose from-making it easier to find the perfect one for you.  many shelters have rabbits, small animals, dogs, cats.  and many different ages.  puppies, kittens, older animals, seniors, you name it, chances are you'll find it in a shelter.  plus purebreds can be found quite often in shelters and rescues.

it's cheaper.  a reputable shelter will often put a lot more money into your animal, than they receive in payment.  we spay/neuter, keep them up to date on shots, train, temperament test, feed, medicate, and much more.  even reputable breeders and pet stores don't do that.  and it can cost thousands from a breeder or pet store.  it's often times even cheaper than getting one for "free" off craigslist. 

you'll get a healthy pet, or you'll know if you aren't.  reputable shelters and rescues will ALWAYS "fix up" an animal before it's adopted out.  and if there is something medically wrong, they will explain it to you before you make the choice to take the pet home.

your pet will be spayed/neutered already.  or they can help you with low cost spay/neuter programs.  no excuse to not have a fixed pet, and no accidental litters, thus reducing the homeless pet population.

they could be microchipped.  definite plus, if you ever lose your pet.  many shelters across the nation are now micrichipping all animals.

you will not be supporting puppy mills or people who breed irresponsibily.  backyard breeders suck and should not be supported.  if demand goes down, supply will also.

many come house trained, have manners, and socialization skills already.  less work for you.

you'll set an example for others.  education is key.  and the more people support this wonderful cause, the better off animals will be in this country.

if you have adopted in the past, God bless.  you rock.  if you are thinking of getting a new pet, stop down at your local shelter or rescue.  you're new furry friend is already waiting for you. 

will fight for animals

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
two4one
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM

you rock

mom23boys679
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM

We just adopted 2 kitties a month ago and will be going to adopt a chocolate lab this coming week (friend notified us because we've been wanting one for a while - she works at shelter and it's finally ready to adopt). We're very excited to add the pup to our family. If I could take in more shelter pets, I would!

MsJoa
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:50 PM
Awesome! I love this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmomma1986
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM

unless you have b*tches that work at the shelter and every animal you want more info on they tell you it's not the right animal you need...it's happened to us sadly

23 yo wife of 4 yrs, DH 6/9/67, DS 8/17/05, and DH 4/21/09boy n girl

shecallsmemom04
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:56 PM

that would be why i said reputable.  there's no denying there's bad shelters.  just like there's shitty breeders, there's shitty shelters.  it's life.  i've been to many myself, that i will never go back to.  but stupid people won't stop me from adopting animals and saving lives.

Quoting proudmomma1986:

unless you have b*tches that work at the shelter and every animal you want more info on they tell you it's not the right animal you need...it's happened to us sadly

will fight for animals

Kaelansmom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Excellent post!!!

shecallsmemom04
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM

so, do you.  :-)

Quoting two4one:

you rock

will fight for animals

abbysmommy429
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Bump! I can't wait until we have a house and get adopt a couple of dogs!!

mama2alex04
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:18 PM
My dog was adopted from the humane society. My parents have currently 7 rescue dogs and had 3 others that have gone to the Rainbow Bridge, plus 2 "free" cats that were well-loved and traveled before they passed at the ages of 16 and 20.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pregogirl
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:19 PM
We adopted our kitty from a shelter. We <3 her! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)