Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NY smokers

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM
  • 6 Replies

what do you think about the hike in cigarette prices?  it's the talk of the town here...LOL.  they are going from 7 to 9+ dollars a pack.  what do you think?  will you quit?

will fight for animals

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JMVITT
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Not in New York but that is bull shit.  They need to start taxing the shit out of alcohol.  Maybe it cut down on DUIs. 

shecallsmemom04
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:21 PM

that's a good point.  this state is a little ass backwards though.  i don't smoke, so it really doesn't affect me.  i would just like to know where all the extra money is going?  our roads suck, our bridges suck, the town next to us is downright filthy, schools are getting their budget cuts.  if the money was actually used for something good, hey so be it.  but i have a feeling all it's really doing is lining the already fat pockets of politicians.  this state sucks.

Quoting JMVITT:

Not in New York but that is bull shit.  They need to start taxing the shit out of alcohol.  Maybe it cut down on DUIs. 

will fight for animals

HereWeGoAgain9
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM
Except that in the city, as well as in most big cities (not just NYC) most people use public transportation. I don't think too much about the tax hike simply bc this is the NY way, arghh! I remember a few yrs back a 20 oz diet coke cost WAY more than a 2L and then they did away with 2L all together, only sold 1L bottles. Not sure if that's still the case, but Lordy, everything is outrageous up north!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:26 PM

i think its absolute bullshit. i live right outside of NYC and i smoke, its not as high as NYC but still. my husband works in NYC and he says its nuts, in manhattan in some places a pack can cost you up to 12 dollars

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Well,a couple of years ago,birmingham decided to ban cigarettes from bars and within 30 days they retracted it.Birmingham never recovered and is going under.They had to fire most of the city employees and are running on skeleton crews.Bad move Birmingham!Still think Sheila Smoot is a smart cookie???

JMVITT
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Probably isn't going to anywhere good.  I'd like to see the reports on where the money goes when they jack prices on one thing.  They aren't playing fair when they do this and it pisses me off. 

If the person above was responding to my DUI comment.  Yes most people take public transportation but there are still DUI'S.  What about that one women who took her whole family and 3 others on a NY highway.  I think it was 7 total who died because she was drinking.  I find drunks (not drinkers) are worse than smokers, they have no regard for life.  So let's mess with their way of life and make a 6 pack $3 more....bet we'd see a drop in fatal accidents cause by drinking...

Quoting shecallsmemom04:

that's a good point.  this state is a little ass backwards though.  i don't smoke, so it really doesn't affect me.  i would just like to know where all the extra money is going?  our roads suck, our bridges suck, the town next to us is downright filthy, schools are getting their budget cuts.  if the money was actually used for something good, hey so be it.  but i have a feeling all it's really doing is lining the already fat pockets of politicians.  this state sucks.

Quoting JMVITT:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)