Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is this mark on my baby?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM
  • 21 Replies

This mark appeared about 2 months ago. At first I thought it was a bruise. It is on his thigh, on the upper back part. It is covered by his diaper. It has not gotten any better or any worse, and it does not seem to hurt him when I press it.

If it was a bruise it should have gone away by now right? I  am concerned because it's been there for a couple months now.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WhitleyLyles
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:41 PM

I really dont think that it is anything to worry about-- looks like a minor skin discoloration to me.

mom2wy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Gosh I dont know I would talk to his pedi and see what they think. GL momma!

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Why would skin discoloration show up suddenly though? That concerns me even more if it is.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:44 PM

There is a birthmark that looks like a bruise, it tends to get darker with age. I cant remember what it is called though

MrsBlack530
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

My 20 month old has something like that on the back of her head!  It just appeared, I thought it was a bruise too, though I didn't recall her hitting her head.  It's been there for about 2 months.  It's lightened a little bit, but is still visible.

Sorry, I have NO idea what it is! 

clovismommy25
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Looks like a bruise to me! I would def talk to his pedi about it!

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Mongolian blue spot

Mongolian spot visible on six-month-old baby

A Mongolian blue spot is a benign flat congenital birthmark with wavy borders and irregular shape, most common among East Asians and Turks (excluding Turkish people), and named after Mongolians. It is also extremely prevalent among East Africans and Native Americans.[5][6] Authentic Mongolian blue spots do not disappear before puberty, and last well into adulthood. The most common color is blue, although they can be blue-gray, blue-black or even deep brown.

The Mongolian spot is a congenital developmental condition exclusively involving the skin. The blue colour is caused by melanocytes, melanin-containing cells, that are deep under the skin.[6] Usually, as multiple spots or one large patch, it covers one or more of the lumbosacral area (lower back), the buttocks, flanks, and shoulders.[6] It results from the entrapment of melanocytes in the dermis during their migration from the neural crest to the epidermis during embryonic development.[6]

Among those who are not aware of the background of the Mongolian spots, it may sometimes be mistaken for a bruise indicative of child abuse.[7]

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Do birthmarks just suddenly show up? It only appeared a couple months ago.

Quoting SuperPickle:

There is a birthmark that looks like a bruise, it tends to get darker with age. I cant remember what it is called though

CafeMom Tickers
indianamom1985
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM

My Ds has one on his leg... Its a Birthmark... It will get darker as he gets older.... Just ask ur Pedi if ur still concerned tho!

SpcCraftsWife
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM

its probably what's called a mongolian spot. My DD has one on her tailbone. I took her to the dr for it because she doesnt get babysat or anything and my husband is gone most of the time and i was trying to figure out why her butt was bruised at 6 monts old lol! I would google mongolian spot and see if you think thats what it could be... its basically kind of like a birthmark kind of thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)