Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At the pool today a wee one left alone. I am sick over this. ***UPDATED again***

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM
  • 198 Replies

I took my boys to the pool today and my older son who is 9 will not go in the big pool just the kiddie pool since he is autistic and has serious anxiety over swimming pools deeper then a kiddie pool.

So here I am sitting in the kiddie pool with my boys and holding their beach ball. Next thing I know a little boy, and I'm guessing maybe 18 months at the most sits right next to and taps the ball saying over and over "ball ball ball." I look around and don't see anyone near watching him. The lady next to me said "is that your baby?" I said no he just came and sat next to me.

She said "that child has been wandering around for awhile and I haven't seen an adult with him." She said to me what should we do? I said I think we should say something to one of the life guards. She and I agreed I would stay and watch the kids, including the baby, while she alerted the life guards.

I kept looking around thinking maybe I'm just missing something. The life gaurd comes over and tells me he is going to start asking if anyone is missing their child, if I wouldn't mind staying with him. Obviously this little one seemed very happy just playing with the ball so I said yes. The whole time I'm getting this sick queasy feeling in my stomach.

The lady came back and sat next to me just as worried as I was. The lifeguard came back and said no one responded. They called the police and when they showed up while I'm still keeping the little guy entertained, a young woman came running over and yanked the baby's hand saying "what the hell are you doing over here?" 

Apparently she was in the big pool and left him alone. The police, baby, and young mother all left together. They took my statement and the lady who was sitting next to me.

I am really shaken over this. What was she thinking? What if the baby had fallen into the pool and gone under? How the hell did he get from where she was all the way to the kiddie pool? I don't like making assumptions but I'm shaken by this. I want to know what happens to the little guy, I asked the police to keep me updated, and I hope they do. 

***UPDATE***

About 10 mins ago I got a call from the police officer. Apparently this wasn't the child's mother but a babysitter. He said the mother wanted to thank me personally so I said ok, yes you can give her my number. I just got off the phone with her. She's a single mom, and the babysitter is her neighbor's 16 yr old daughter who never informed her she was taking her baby to the pool. She said she would have never allowed that and she is literally shaking from this. She was in tears and said now she's in a bind because she knows of no one else to watch her baby while she works. Well long story short, she's coming over tomorrow and I may be watching her baby since i'm off for the summer , it sounds like she is strapped. I am so relieved he's ok. Breathing a huge sigh of relief.

**last Update***

Met the mom and her mother.  Both were very nice and the baby is just so adorable. Grandmom is going to be changing shifts and working nights in a month then she will be with the baby, so I agreed to watch the baby for a month. It works out fine since I can only do it until early august anyway. I think I'm going to get very attached to this litlle guy, he's so adorable. My children are excited about him coming also. Thanks everyone for the wonderful repsonses.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazymama0286
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Wow well at least his mom was there at all and just didn't leave him. Did she have any other kids with her?  18 month olds are super quick. I know I can turn my head and my son will be gone. But she should have been watching him especially around the water.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lace2180
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:07 PM

frustrated

SincerelyYours
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM

That is crazy and scary. When I'm at the pool with my kids I watch them like a hawk.

mom2wy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Wow what a irresponsible mother! I am proud of you and the other lady for getting the life guard and making sure that lil guy was safe. You are very right he very easily could have fallen in any of the pools or even slipped on the concrete around the pool and hit his head. She should deffinitly be reprimanded. And after all that she gets mad at HIM for not staying put are you kidding me!! Wow

bluebunbun
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:10 PM

WOW i used to baby sit all the time and always took the kids between the ages of 1-3 to the pool so i was almost always by the kiddie pool and i saved 2 kids in one summer because the moms were in chairs instead of sitting with their feet in the water the parents are responsible at the kiddie pool the lifeguards are for the big pool for the most part that is just terrible

KaylasMiracle
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I can see an 18 month old getting away from you for a moment...but not for the length of time OP is talking about!

Lbluv20
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Its hard not being there.. i just know from experience that i cant even take my eyes off my 3 year old at the pool because i dont trust the lifeguards lol. We went to the pool a couple of weeks ago, i was sitting about 20ft from the pool where my son was, i had my daughter in a sling on me.. he was ina floaty and it tiped over i was already on my feet by this time because i saw it starting to happen.. but i am running and screaming and  have to jump in and put him right side up (2 feet of water).. it was maybe 5 seconds.. but when i looked up.. the lifeguard, that watched me do all this was just sitting there !didnt even hesitate! soo i really cant see how this mom can loose her child, when mine doesnt have a moment without my eyes on him.. i hope this changes her mindset when it comes to the baby.. hopefully she will keep a closer eye on him from now on.

Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:11 PM

well i'm glad you and the other lady took care of him. that's just scary.

Nickie2010
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:13 PM

That was very awesome of you and the other lady. God bless the both of you for your actions.

caramellove1974
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:13 PM

angry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)