Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He said he hates me!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM
  • 10 Replies

My 4yr old that is! He just started this two days ago! I have NO idea where he heard this from but it crushed me! I couldn't stop crying! He just told his little brother the same thing! I don't even know how to explain to him why he can't say this! Please help me!

pregnancy calendar

baby development

baby
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hautemama83
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Meh, kids do not understand the weight of their words. So its really nothing to cry about. Honestly you need to sit him down and explain to him what the word hate means, and how it should be properly used.

SincerelyYours
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:19 PM

That is rough to hear from your little one. I just told me little one stuff like that is very hurtful and makes me cry and that worked for me. Then again my son is only 3 1/2 and very sensitive about hurting people. Good luck and I hope he stops saying it soon.

mom2wy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:20 PM

My 4yr old has been saying that for awhile now and I just say well I really dont think that is a good word and I love you no matter what. I know it is hard not to take it personal but at that age they just dont completely understand what it means. Mine learned it from his big brother who is 7 and he got it from school!

PurplWildFlower
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Be firm!!!! Look him in the eyes and explain to him how it hurts your feelings and how that it is a word that should not be used towards YOU his mother.  If that doesnt work, strip him of all pleasures for a day (tv, sweets, etc.)  and then he will really hate you LOL

crodden
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:21 PM

my daughter who is 3 is in that mood to, she will look at me and say I hate you mommy, and i dont love you any more.. so i look at her and say okay thats fine if you dont love me you can go find a new mommy, and then she goes no your my mommy and i do love you

tarynleighton
by Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:22 PM

my 4 yr old says that sometimes more like i dont like you rather then hate but it still crushes me. he only says it when he doesnt get his way or doesnt like a rule. and i just tell him its ok if you dont like me but you still need to listen and behave and he usually says sorry a little while later. no advice but just wanted to say u arent alone

clovismommy25
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Lol, yeah he would! I am so freaking hormonal this time around! Even Toy Story 3 made me cry!

Quoting PurplWildFlower:

Be firm!!!! Look him in the eyes and explain to him how it hurts your feelings and how that it is a word that should not be used towards YOU his mother.  If that doesnt work, strip him of all pleasures for a day (tv, sweets, etc.)  and then he will really hate you LOL

littleluvkitty
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

i told my three year old he had to come in and he said " then i dont wuv you any more." i told him thats fine but you still have to come in. and after dinner when i gave them all ice cream cones he said " i wuv you so much mommy" i told him that you love your family no matter what. even if they make you mad you just love them. its the rules. he said "ok i wuv you and my brothers" it was a cute moment.

STRAWBERRYRAIN
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM
Its a kid thing they all say it at one point or another. Just explainit tohim what it means and how it makes you feel and teach him how to express his emotions properly, instead of I hate you its I am really angry with you because...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GothicMommy3
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM

My boys say that sometimes (5 and 6 uears old). I don't cry because they are little still. I just say, "alright, I just saved about $14 the next time me and daddy go see a movie. I only take kids who love me..." They usually love me again after that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)