Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

too much for a 6 year old?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:37 PM
  • 10 Replies
My daughter is 6 and
Autistic and I have always just done all the house work myself.
But today I started a chore chart for her. Very simple things sbd only 3. Make her bed, put her clothing in the hamper and put her clean clothing away when I wash them. But today she has been working on putting them away ALL day! And still isn't done. She keeps saying its top hard even though she is half done and I know she CAN do it. Should I take that chore o ff? Or continue to insist upon it? Its only the first day maybe she needs more time to understand she has to do it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenniepepsi
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Sorry about typos I'm on my cell
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luv2wahm
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:39 PM

If you know she can do it don't take it off the chore list.

ajswenson
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Don't take it off the list.  Maybe you can help her.

I'm working on teaching my 2 and 4 year old how to put away their clothes.  I take the stack of folded clothes in and will sit in their room and direct them.  They get so easily sidetracked.  I wouldn't punish her for not doing them the way you think she should do them.  Keep at it and she'll get it.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:42 PM

I would keep persistent.  Are any of the clothing areas too high for her to reach?   I would help her finish it and see where the problems she has lie.

confer27
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:44 PM

my 4yr old nephew is autistic. he has a chore chart that is picking up toys etc. simple things with his age. keep up with the chores and she'll eventually learn them. with autism it takes time to learn a new routine. keep up and encourage her and help if necessary.

Just_Bethy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I have an 8 son who has Autism....I fold his clothes and put them in piles on the dryer.....sock/underwear in 1...PJ's in another...Tshirts in the last...(All his clothes that hang I do as he can't reach..I tell hm to put one pile up...then I tell him to do the second etc...Same with cleaning his room..I tell him Legos...then when he has done that..... star wars when he has done star wars.....I tell him books etc...Step by step doesn't over whelm him...(Also...for charts...Autistic children find visual in pictures rather than words easier...Ie a pic of the washer for laundry...or a pic of the bed rather than BED will help her)

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

jenniepepsi
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Thanks everyone ill try to Answer everyone

The problem with helping her with it is that she sits and watches me lol or I would help. No her drawres are all down in her reach and our closit has a regular bar for my clothes and a short bar right at her aholders so she can do it and is doing a great job but she is complaining every step of the way lol.

Hopefully after a few times she will figure out that without all the breaks and complaining she could be done in 20 mins
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenniepepsi
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Thanks for the picture idea! I'm definately gonna do that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Autistic children are very dependent on routine, right? I wouldn't take it off, I'd help her/direct her.. each day it'll get easier, and as it becomes more routine to her - it'll be second nature. 

katee38
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:59 PM

I also put pictures on the dresser drawers that way it becomes a pattern.  I separate the clothes into shirts, socks and underware, pants ect so it is easy one drawer at a time.

Quoting jenniepepsi:

Thanks for the picture idea! I'm definately gonna do that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)