Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

green poop?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:05 PM
  • 14 Replies

my son just turned a month old yesterday. i exclusively breast feed and its normally the yellow seedy stuff. i just changed his diaper and it was mainly green with a hint of yellow. anyone experience this? it happened once before when he was about 2 weeks old but now that its happened twice, i just want to know if its "normal".

the internet isnt really helping me because it just says it can change color if your supplementing with formula  or if switching to solid foods and since im not doing that im just curious.

thanks ladies!!

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessedmama518
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:11 PM

bump. anyone, pretty please??

sahmomof2
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:12 PM
Have you been eating anything with a lot of food dye? I know Captain Crunch, Fruit Loops, fruit snacks, and artificially colored drinks can turn poo green... Not sure if it passes into breast milk though. Purple dye is especially notorious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CutieBoysMommy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:13 PM

something you ate?

Seriously did YOU eat or drink something that you don't normally consume?

epoh
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:14 PM
That means he's not getting enough hindmilk. Try nursing for longer on one side, then offering the second after he's emptied the first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyto32007
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:15 PM

green usually means upset stomach

blessedmama518
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:17 PM

hmm not that i know of. ive been drinking a lot of juice....maybe thats it?

Quoting sahmomof2:

Have you been eating anything with a lot of food dye? I know Captain Crunch, Fruit Loops, fruit snacks, and artificially colored drinks can turn poo green... Not sure if it passes into breast milk though. Purple dye is especially notorious.

JoshiRachelsMom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:19 PM

green usually means iron rich diet

blessedmama518
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:20 PM

ive heard of this....soo this may sound like a dumb question, but how can you tell its empty?my boobs are usually pretty soft unless ive gone more than 4 hours nursing. but even then as soon as hes nurses for about 5 mins they are back to being soft again.

Quoting epoh:

That means he's not getting enough hindmilk. Try nursing for longer on one side, then offering the second after he's emptied the first.

blessedmama518
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:23 PM
Quoting JoshiRachelsMom:

green usually means iron rich diet

well i did have a turkey burger this afternoon. maybe that was the issue.

sahmomof2
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:24 PM
Maybe... What kind of juice? I know grape juice will turn poo green, but not sure on others. I suppose any deeply colored juice could do that. It never hurts to call the pedi to ask! :)

Quoting blessedmama518:

hmm not that i know of. ive been drinking a lot of juice....maybe thats it?

Quoting sahmomof2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)