Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Renters rights??

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:11 PM
  • 125 Replies

Maybe I am not looking in the right spot online...so maybe someone here can help me.  I rent a townhome...and I am a good tenant.  My landlord is an ASS.  I have been here over a year and just signed another year lease.  The landlord has been here once to fix something...and it was my fault.  My kids dropped a toothbrush in the toilet and flushed scared to get caught.  It took him 5 minutes to get it out and he was very rude about it.  He told me to keep a better eye on my kids.  My fault...whatever.  So my kitchen sink clogs up last week on Sunday.  I called him and could not get ahold of him until Tuesday.  He was very rude...like I was bothering him.  He fixed it while I was at work.  I came home to a MESS.  Dirty water all over the floor...my kitchen rugs were soaked...all the stuff under my sink was soaked...and he used my GOOD towels to clean some of the mess and RUINED them.  I didnt say anything and just cleaned it...my house has smelled so bad since then.  SO, this past Wednesday it clogs again (a little over a week since he fixed it).  I call Wednesday untill I finally get ahold of him Friday.  He said it was my fault and asked what I was putting down the sink.  Well..I have had sinks forever and never clogged one...and theres a disposal.  He said he would "try" to get to it today..Saturday.  Its 8pm...he never came and not answering his phone again.  I cant cook food for the kids and I and really cant afford to keep eating out.  I dont even know what to do at this point....  I rent this place because its cheaper than any apartments in the area...but, they are OLD.  My kids have a good sized yard and I dont want to move.  But, the way he acts is so unprofessional.  Is there even anything I can do??  THX.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babybull0601
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:16 PM

I would try to fix it myself.   Use a plunger and try to declog it or go get  some kind of Drano stuff.   Sucks he is being an ass sorry.  I do not know anything about the laws and I do not know any site to direct you too.

Briannimal
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I have recently found out myself that renter's rights are garbage for small stuff (which feels bigger to us living there). Bascially if it doesn't effect actual running water, chances are there's not much you can do.

If he comes to fix it within like 2 weeks, the courts will say that he has shown 'due diligence' in taking care of your problems. You have to give them 'ample time' - which the courts see being like 2 weeks or so, unless it's an emergency thing like heat or actual running water.

So, I certainly cannot afford to fix my AC, I get to pay LOTS more for a utility bill that's HIS fault, because he rented me an energy guzzling home.  My fault for signing that lease.

I guess too it goes back if you want something done right, you'd better do it yourself. Whether you can afford it, or not.

Disheartening.  I am actually going BACK to apartment complexes (major corporate ones) because I know they have the money and staff to take care of problems properly most often times. 

That is, until hubby gets promoted again, we move, and then we buy our own house.

=/

NananRaysmom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Yeah...I have tried..draino...everything.  He had to take the U part of the pipes under the sink off and snake the pipes...so its something more than I can fix.  :-(

So..I gess in short...hire a plumber.  Great.  I wonder if I can take that out of the rent...

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Hire a plumber. Keep the receipt and decuct it from rent!

okhsmom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Quoting LancesMom:

Hire a plumber. Keep the receipt and decuct it from rent!

In my state, you can't deduct the bill if the landlord is acting in good faith, which seems to be the case here.  If the landlord can't fix it on a Saturday night and opts to wait until business hours on Monday, that is good faith.  That's a reasonable action.  Why can't you feed your kids in your home just because the sink doesn't drain?  You can make sandwiches and serve them on paper towels.  The mess is minimal and cleanup can wait a day or two? 

smittnlittlkitn
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:59 PM

look up the housing code/ enforcement website for where you live. if you cant find yr city/county look up your state and see what comes up- he may be in violation. ("all plumbing must be in good repair" is a standard code.) contact them. dont warn the landlord about it. if you know they are coming, dont even call him anymore.  google renter's rights for your county.state- there is so much info- you will know exactly what you need to do. if you told me yr city i might be able to find something.

i think he is being totally unreasonable But- i dont understand how you cant cook for lack of  a kitchen sink- when you still have other sinks if you needed water.

FooLynRoo
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:03 AM

learn to fix it yourself.

FooLynRoo
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Quoting NananRaysmom:

Yeah...I have tried..draino...everything.  He had to take the U part of the pipes under the sink off and snake the pipes...so its something more than I can fix.  :-(

So..I gess in short...hire a plumber.  Great.  I wonder if I can take that out of the rent...

You shouldn't use draino in any plumbing..

If there is something getting caught in the trap (the u shape) its something you or your kids maybe are doing.

FooLynRoo
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:08 AM

and FYI there is no renters rights because you think he's not being as nice as he should be.

Not responding to a clogged sink after 8pm on a saturday does not constitute a slum lord.

pinkprincess08
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:12 AM

You need to pull the stick out of your ass!!!!!!!!!!!! Go do something productive besides being a complete bitch!

Quoting FooLynRoo:

and FYI there is no renters rights because you think he's not being as nice as he should be.

Not responding to a clogged sink after 8pm on a saturday does not constitute a slum lord.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)