Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommy why do I have food allergies?!?!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:20 PM
  • 10 Replies

Okay so my DD is 3, and smart. So to night at dinner she asked me why she was allergic to food and no one else in the family was not. I felt bad cause I did not know what to tell her. She has had known food allergies since 12months old so its normal to her but she see people eating things and she knows she cant have them. I try not to eat anything around her that she can not have cause it breaks my heart when she give this look and her eyes ask if she can have it cause she know 9 times out of 10 she can not.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollinicole
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM

simple frown 

chelleybeans
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:37 PM

*HUGS* I am sorry momma. I have a neice who can't eat any food. She is 2. She can only have formula.

kmab0629
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:37 PM

simple frown Poor thing. 

lovinmykiddo07
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Are you Christian? If it were me and my child I'd just tell him that God made him extra special :) lol Or you could always just tell her that certain people are born that way and thier body's dont accept certain foods. Let her know its not uncommon for children to have food allergies. I work at a daycare with preschoolers and the kids with allergies always say (even tho I know) "Teacher Ashley, I cant eat that. I'm allergic." and we provide for them a substitute. Hope you can get her to understand .

bluebunbun
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM

im sooo sorry my dd is allergic to a lot also i am pregnant and want everything she isn't allowed to have i know exactly what face you are talking about my dd is 19 months.....as long as her little brother isn't allergic to other things they will only be allowed to eat what the other one can and i will probably still snack when they are asleep

Kenre
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM
Tell her that her body thinks the food she is allergic to will hurt her so it attacks the food and itself in the process. Her body is confused but she isn't alone. A lot of people are allergic to foods.

My 2.5 year old is allergic to milk. I know what you're going through. It's tough to tell them "no".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deenakate
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Worse day for me at the doctors office.. DS was around 10... he is allergic to NUTS of all forms and all kinds..

The doctor asked him if he had any questions or concerns.. Tyler said.. Can you test me again to see if my allergy has gone away.. the Dr said ... Tyler your allergy wont go away.. it just gets worse with every exposure.. Tyler said... so How long till I die...

Killed me...

Hang in there.. Just be honest.. and let your child know that they are special...

dk

ericagwen
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM

My son had several food allergies when he was younger, so I know how hard it can be, but most children will outgrow their allergies by the time they're school aged.  My son did.

hollinicole
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:56 PM

that look just breaks your heart.

Quoting bluebunbun:

im sooo sorry my dd is allergic to a lot also i am pregnant and want everything she isn't allowed to have i know exactly what face you are talking about my dd is 19 months.....as long as her little brother isn't allergic to other things they will only be allowed to eat what the other one can and i will probably still snack when they are asleep

hollinicole
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:00 PM
Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Are you Christian? If it were me and my child I'd just tell him that God made him extra special :) lol Or you could always just tell her that certain people are born that way and thier body's dont accept certain foods. Let her know its not uncommon for children to have food allergies. I work at a daycare with preschoolers and the kids with allergies always say (even tho I know) "Teacher Ashley, I cant eat that. I'm allergic." and we provide for them a substitute. Hope you can get her to understand .

I like that one, I want something that she can understand that really want go into even more questions, she also tells her teachers everyday what she cant have lol but am glade she does that ways she knows not to eat anything from anyone. She has even made them call me cause I okay something that morin and she did not hear me say it so she would not take it so they called me at work to tell her she could have the ice-pop lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)