Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are fleas bad for you this year?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM
  • 9 Replies
My poor dog, he's an outside dog since he's a fan of chewing up my carpet and cords. We put advantage on him, but fleas got to him badly. He has been scratching so bad his hairs coming out. I give him baths, treat his scabs and comb through his hair with a flea comb. We've treated the yard, but they just keep coming back! Has anyone else had a bad year with fleas (and flys!) this summer? Has anyone given their dogs the flea pill? Does it work better than advantage?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Just_Bethy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Crap..I forgot about fleas...One year my whole house had them we tried everything...spent over $500 and still couldn't get them gone!!..Until we bought Frontline...expensive but OMGosh It worked great!!!...(I say Crap as my pets last Frontline was over 5 months and needs to be done now!!)

Rhyne
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:50 PM
We dog sat for a friend last year, and our house got infested! It was insane! We bombed the house, uses the Adams carpet for fleas..everything and they got worse. Finally we had To get our house treated. Thankfully it worked but it was just BAD!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CharityTipton
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Fleas...no...sugar ants...yes

shecallsmemom04
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM

i have 25 animals in my home at any given time.  the animals get bathed in dawn dish soap, we vaccume, mop, and wash everything on a regular basis.  no fleas.  i don't give my animals pills, nor do i put chemicals on them.  and the least expensive things have always worked better for us.

will fight for animals

mysticalmalissa
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:58 AM

You can buy a pill call Capstar from your vet (under $10). It kills the all the fleas with in an hour (but not the eggs)....but....its not continuous.

After giving him the pill bathe him and put his Advantage on. Do NOT bathe him again until the month is up and you are ready to apply a new dose of Advantage.

All4OneN1forAll
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:00 AM

We use Frontline and have not had a problem, although I keep find ticks crawling on my little dog, I can not stand ticks! 

monichella71787
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:02 AM
The flea pills is worth the money! They say it is a once a month pill but it really lasts for about two. The fleas die within 30 minutes of the dog taking it.

Quoting Just_Bethy:

Crap..I forgot about fleas...One year my whole house had them we tried everything...spent over $500 and still couldn't get them gone!!..Until we bought Frontline...expensive but OMGosh It worked great!!!...(I say Crap as my pets last Frontline was over 5 months and needs to be done now!!)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monichella71787
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:04 AM
The one I use is called comfortis.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
busymomma75
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Last year my dog and cat had fleas BAD!!! Only I had bites on me they never bothered my SO or kids. I washed them washed them washed them lol, and I vaccumed everything. sprayed everything now it is good, I found 3 fleas on my dog at her last bath and haven't seen any in the house nor gotten bit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)