Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who is teaching him this stuff?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM
  • 17 Replies
I feel like crap. I know who is teaching him this stuff. His grandmother.

Tonight I went and gave DS a bath and started out nighttime routine. We got his tooth brush and I brushed his teeth, and like always let him try. But tonight he actually brushed his own teeth.

I have never seen him do this. He brushed the front, the top, the bottom, and his tongue. Then he spit into the sink.

He is only 23 months. I didn't think he would know how to do this yet. Am I making him more of a baby then he is? It makes me jealous that his grandmother is outdoing me!

I feel like a crappy mom.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MoM.i.aM
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarchMarie
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM

AWWW, dont feel that way, she just has more experience. Ask her for tips! :)

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:51 PM

aww big boy...he may learned from watching her. Smart guy!

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Quoting MarchMarie:

AWWW, dont feel that way, she just has more experience. Ask her for tips! :)

You are not a bad mom.  I bet she would love to share some tips with you.  You and your son are so lucky it is in this day and age less and less common for ppl to respect and search out elders opinions and experiences.

MioriLane
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Wow... it'd make me feel bad, too.  Mine still don't brush all by themselves like that!

bigmommasmomma
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM

LOl. DD was brushing and soaping herself up in the tub properly by 1.5. He's jsut a fast learner. Everytime he sees you brushing or you helping him hes learning so trust me its majorly you just because he comes from a visit brushing doesnt mean he learned over night momma!

aj23
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM

I had some of those magnetic ABC's I bought for my son thinking that it would help me teach him the alphabet. I opened the package and was letting him put them on the wall (it's painted with magnetic paint). I went in the kitchen to get something and came back to find him pulling out the letters and saying them as he was putting them on the wall. He knew almost every single one. I hadn't started teaching him the alphabet, his dad and grandma were just as shocked  as I was about it and he doesn't go to a sitter much. We still have no idea where he learned it. The best I can figure is that he loves Super Why and they say the alphabet every day on there so that may be where he picked it up. 
Kids are like little sponges and they pick up things in the most random ways and places.

Patriotsgrl84
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Don't feel bad!  My son is always coming up with stuff I don't teach him and I'm a stay at home mom!!!  I blame Nick Jr.   The shows on there are so educational!  It's great~

judybant
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:06 AM

so... do you usually brush his teeth for him? Because they learn by watching, too... and my son was right about that age when he "got it" too... don't beat yourself up over it. Kids have firsts. The first time they brush their teeth "right"... etc... and who knows? it may just be a fluke. he may not repeat that again for another year.

Is Grandma teaching him this stuff because you just don't care enough to show him? Or because you're working to put food in his belly, and clothes on his back? Because if it's because you're working, and supporting him with your job, so you don't have to be on welfare and food stamps, then you stop it right now! You're doing what you need to do, to make a good life for him and you! It doesn't matter WHO teaches him to do that stuff, just that someone who loves him IS teaching him that stuff! Be grateful it's a grandparent, and not a babysitter who might not care as much as a relative does!

I've been there, done that, honey, and knocking yourself down for things that are beyond your control won't help ANYONE! And just by virtue of the fact that you care about it, PROVES that you are not a crappy mom. A crappy mom wouldn't worry about them brushing their teeth!

MoM.i.aM
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:28 AM
No, I don't work. Its not that I don't teach him things. I had him counting to ten at 16 months. But, sometimes, I unserestimate him. Sometimes I think he is so young there is no point in showing him some things yet cause he won't get them. And then she shows him. And I feel horrible. Like, does he love her more than me? Why can't he do this stuff with me, etc.

Quoting judybant:

so... do you usually brush his teeth for him? Because they learn by watching, too... and my son was right about that age when he "got it" too... don't beat yourself up over it. Kids have firsts. The first time they brush their teeth "right"... etc... and who knows? it may just be a fluke. he may not repeat that again for another year.

Is Grandma teaching him this stuff because you just don't care enough to show him? Or because you're working to put food in his belly, and clothes on his back? Because if it's because you're working, and supporting him with your job, so you don't have to be on welfare and food stamps, then you stop it right now! You're doing what you need to do, to make a good life for him and you! It doesn't matter WHO teaches him to do that stuff, just that someone who loves him IS teaching him that stuff! Be grateful it's a grandparent, and not a babysitter who might not care as much as a relative does!

I've been there, done that, honey, and knocking yourself down for things that are beyond your control won't help ANYONE! And just by virtue of the fact that you care about it, PROVES that you are not a crappy mom. A crappy mom wouldn't worry about them brushing their teeth!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)