Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did summer school become a good thing

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:22 AM
  • 52 Replies

Back when I was a kid. You went to summer school if you did poorly during the school year, It was considered to be a very bad thing, and very embarrassing. Now I know many parents who are wanting their kids to go to summer school. They are very excited about their kids going to summer school. Is this just where I live or how do most people view summer school

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soupermom95
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:28 AM

I think it all depends...in the school district that I work, it is primarily for the students that have failed 2 of their core classes.  In the district that my children attend, it is offered as a way to catch up, get a little ahead or just not lose what they have.  I think that it is used differently in each district.

bluesky51201
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:33 AM

It depends.  When I was in elementary school there was a program called Enahncement (still going on) for certain grades and everyone wanted to go.  You had to be in gifted classes or make the honor roll to qualify but it was awesome.  We had classes you couldn't take in school Oceanography, photography, Around the World, Art Expo, just really fun classes.  I went for two years and had a blast.

As far as actual summer school goes, it depends on the child.  Our oldest son is autistic and had a speech delay.  If he hadn't shown a certain amount of progess during the school year they would have recommended he attend summer school or we could have requested it.  If a child wants to be in school learning, why stop him?  It wouldn't be how I would want to spend my summer but I've seen some children who love school so much they want to go through summer.

momof525
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Summer school here is basically fun, unless you needed it, then you can get some extra help. My kids don't go but I know alot who do. They do a summary of the yr's work, but they also do lots of games and fun stuff...plus, it's free childcare, lol.

BizzE
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:38 AM

I think some like their kids to go because they use the school system as a babysitter and dont like summer break because they have their kids all day long.

Sad, i know!

IS ChaoticX4

Sirenabella
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Huh. When I was a kid I went to summer school for social interaction, to spend time with friends, etc. I was never behind or failing. Now I can't have my son in summer school unless he is at risk of flunking.

judybant
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:41 AM

It's now an enrichment activity, it's not make up work any longer around here. With the exception of high school. In elementary and junior high, it's summer FUN, not summer school. It's all those cool projects we USED to do in class, but now they have to teach to the standardized tests, so they have kids come back for 6 weeks or so of summer enrichment activities which are fun for them to do, but also help retain more of the math, reading, and science skills they learned over the year, so there's not so much "summer backslide".

shecallsmemom04
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:42 AM

summer school isn't only for people who fail here.  they have different programs.  my daughter is in a summer fun program.  and no, it's not because we are lazy.  it's because she wanted to do it.  and like someone else said, if a child wants to learn why stop them.  it's only 3 days a week, and she had a blast last year.  they go and volunteer for different functions, they take field trips, they travel a little, they have horse back riding, etc.

will fight for animals

Krissy21
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Where I'm from summer school is for kids who did poorly in school so I don't think of it as a good thing.

I stay in GA.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:44 AM

In my house Summer school is a bad thing.  My Mom always said, "If you can't learn it in 10 months, then you can't learn it in six weeks".

nikialeslie79
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:46 AM

I think it has changed a bit over the years. By the time I got to high school (graduated in 97), a lot of students were taking classes over the summer to get a jump start on the year ahead. Kind of like how they do in college.  Also, going to school during the summer means you get to still see your friends (or, some of them).

And then theres the fact that a lot of kids think its cool to be "bad" or whatever. So, summer school (for disciplinary reasons) don't really mean much to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)