Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shower for a third baby?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:35 AM
  • 35 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I let her throw the shower?

Options:

Yes

No

Other- Please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 39

View Results

Ok so I need advice...Please read all of this lol

Hubby and I are expecting our third baby and we are very happy. Our kids are very close in age. Our daughter is 2 (3 in September), our son is 19 months (2 in November) Our son and daughter are 14 1/2 months apart. This baby is due December 4th. So I will have three kiddos three and under. All planned, crazy we know. 

Well anyways, I knew after our son that we wouldnt have anymore showers and I was okay with that. My family thinks its tacky to have them for any more than one for each gender and thats it. Plus my best friend with the help from my mother threw both of my last two showers. I would never expect her to throw me yet another. 

Anyways... so I was coming home one day and my cousins fiance was visiting her daughter who lives next door to me. She was asking me if we know the gender yet and I told her no, we find out on the 30th. She asked when am I having my shower and I explained we wont be having one with it being our third baby and all. Well she asked why and I said that its our third baby, plus what I said above about my family and my best friend. 

Well he said forget that and wants to throw me a shower! At the time I thought she was joking, just trying to be nice, so I joked that it would have to be a sprinkle. So then she asked what a sprinkle was and we chatted and then I went about my day. 

A week or two later and my cousin was here picking up his soon to be stepson from the daughters house. He was chatting with us and he said, I hear we will be having the pleasure of throwing you a shower at our new place (they just moved, used to live in the unit behind us..well just she did, they arnt living together until they are are married). Their wedding is this next month. 

Anyways.. I have mixed feelings, maybe it wont happen, but I mean I dont want people to think I am asking for stuff...but it would be nice if she did throw a little party.. but then im afraid if she does she will surprise me with it and I cant control how crazy it gets..like I dont want a full on shower...sprinkle at the most... 

Thoughts? 

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toadysmommy09
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:37 AM

I say... idk. I mean, if you say no, she may be offended.

BUT what you COULD do is have her put "no gifts" on the invites =) then its just a nice party where you can get together with people

party_of_5
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:39 AM

I think with every baby you need a shower. I had one with every child & I have 3. With my last one I had just a diaper/wipes one. It was awesome & helped out so much. I still got a few outfits, but I really didn't need anything b/c I still most of my stuff from my first DS.

Cmyfantasyworld
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Quoting toadysmommy09:

BUT what you COULD do is have her put "no gifts" on the invites =) then its just a nice party where you can get together with people

True, i dont want to offend her. 

I hope she does like talk to me about it if she plans on doing it cause then I could suggest like no gifts or at least just diapers..or something like that. 

masastan
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:43 AM

I understand where your family is coming from, because it is generally the tradition and my famly is the same way. However, why shouldn't every baby be celebrated?!! let her throw the shower if she wants.

Cmyfantasyworld
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Quoting party_of_5:

I think with every baby you need a shower. I had one with every child & I have 3. With my last one I had just a diaper/wipes one. It was awesome & helped out so much. I still got a few outfits, but I really didn't need anything b/c I still most of my stuff from my first DS.

Yea a party would be nice. 

Oh yes we dont need clothes at all lol. I have so much baby stuff...in both genders.... Diapers./wipes would be cool, though I will be cloth diapering, however I would still use any sposies I received. It would be easier. 

masastan
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Quoting Cmyfantasyworld:

Quoting toadysmommy09:

True, i dont want to offend her. 

I hope she does like talk to me about it if she plans on doing it cause then I could suggest like no gifts or at least just diapers..or something like that. 

You could just ask for diapers too! You know you are gonna need them!

nazratred
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Have a D and D shower...a Diapers and/or Dinner shower.  That way family can get you what you really need..Diapers or a home cooked meal you can freeze for when you come home.  Not tacky and not expensive.

Cmyfantasyworld
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Quoting masastan:

I understand where your family is coming from, because it is generally the tradition and my famly is the same way. However, why shouldn't every baby be celebrated?!! let her throw the shower if she wants.

True. I called my aunt and gave her a heads up...that someone may try to throw me something... we will see what happens. 

nazratred
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:46 AM

And yes take her up on it..your family can't get peeved if someone wants to..that would be ridiculous.  each child is special. My friend had her 7th and had a shower.

Cmyfantasyworld
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Quoting nazratred:

Have a D and D shower...a Diapers and/or Dinner shower.  That way family can get you what you really need..Diapers or a home cooked meal you can freeze for when you come home.  Not tacky and not expensive.

I was talking to someone about the dinner thing, id heard of someone else doing that and I think its a great idea! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)