Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When your child gets a virus...

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:39 AM
  • 6 Replies
My daughter is 18 months old...Yesterday(Friday) she started runnin a fever...it was about 101 ...and she was gruntin/breathin fast. Took her to the pedi, where her temp was up to 103.1..They said it was just a virus(mono and strep tests were neg) and just do motrin and tylenol for the fever. My daughter has had a fever all day/night today...even with motrin and tylenol it only gets down to 100...A few minutes ago I took it and it had been exactly 4 hours since Tylenol, it was 103.3. My question is, is this normal? And if so, how long before your childs fever went away?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
toadysmommy09
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Yes. Tylenol usually wears off in about 4 hours, even though it say give every 6. the best thing to do is stagger it. When ds has a bad fever, we give motrin at say 12. Then, at 4, we give tylenol. Then at 6, motrin, etc etcetc. It allows the meds to continue to fight the fever even when they need to be regiven..

My sons had a fever for a week and a half straight when he had RSV... GL

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Well my daughter hasn't gotten sick much but in April she had a fever where she had to have Motrin a few times before it got down below 100. But when the fever broke it was also after I'd been keeping her cool with wet washcloths and nothing but her diaper on. Maybe you could try that. The highest my daughter's got was about 103.4 as well. In any case here's a bump in case anyone else has more helpful info for you. I hope her fever breaks soon!

KimGsMommi
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:46 AM
Thanks.
Of course it just kills me seein my baby feelin bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fairymom2316
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Quoting toadysmommy09:

Yes. Tylenol usually wears off in about 4 hours, even though it say give every 6. the best thing to do is stagger it. When ds has a bad fever, we give motrin at say 12. Then, at 4, we give tylenol. Then at 6, motrin, etc etcetc. It allows the meds to continue to fight the fever even when they need to be regiven..

My sons had a fever for a week and a half straight when he had RSV... GL

We do this as well, it helps keep the fever down. Hope she feels better!

mrsmoore02
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM

The last time DD got sick (about a week ago) she ran a fever for about 3 days.  When the meds were in her system (we alternated tylenol and motrin every 3 hours) her fever would only go down to about 100 or so.  I just let her sleep as long as she needed to sleep and once she started waking up really sweaty, it was only about a day later that she didn't need the meds anymore.

KimGsMommi
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:10 PM
Ok Thanks. She woke up at 6 still burnin up....then woke up at 10 sweatin..fever was bout 100. Gave her more meds, and shes back to tryin to beat up big sister. Her eyes still look like she doesnt feel good..but she seems to finally be gettin better. thanks for the comments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)