• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public Assistance

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:14 AM
  • 24 Replies

I recently applied for food stamps - We just need some help between now and September when my husband goes back to work.

I want to know, why is it so difficult to get food stamps?  The pages and pages of requests of items I need to provide are ridiculous. 

We are embarrassed and ashamed that we even need this temporary help, but the last thing my DH wants to do is ask his employers for proof that he is not working this summer - we are afraid it will risk his job and put a stigma on him.

So, now - instead of getting temporary help, we have decided it is easier to sell off our personal possessions such as family heirloom furniture brought over to the US from Germany in the 1800's by my ancestors.

Isn't there a way they can make the process for applying for temporary help easier?  A way for them to prove you're not working without getting letters from your employer??

AND I want to say this - it is NO WONDER that public assistance is abused - if someone has to put that much time and effort into getting it, then when to they have time to get a job?  It's a job in-and-of itself just to apply for food stamps!

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alberns303
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:16 AM

perhaps you should take a look at the post about the new job and boyfriend....maybe she can tell you how to easily get them and keep them

Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Exactly how do you prove to them that your not working if you font get proof? How do you prove you need them and arent making money? Did you really think they didnt want proof that you werent getting an income?

SerenityRose
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:17 AM

I think they try and make it hard to weed out the abusers, but it doesn't work. Once the process is complete you pretty much have to do nothing. When I recieved it I had to turn in a paper (proof of income) once every 3 months, and that was it. I do agree it takes a while to get going though.

kitten_shuga
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:17 AM
When I used to have papers filled out I would just say it was for my sons medicaid, same office, and it seemed to take the stigma away from it because you are doing it for your kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:18 AM

If you need the help, then get the proof. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Get over it and get your proof.

carlinaiden
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:19 AM

why embarassed?? you need help, so what! thats what its there for.  & actually I think the criteria they want make a whole lotta sense...perhaps they should need more info if you really want my honest opinion..

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:19 AM
If people didn't have to prove that they weren't working or were low income, anybody at all could apply and claim to be within the income requirements. As it is, there is still a lot of abuse of public aid. If the requirements were more lax, the abuse would be even worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamiJ18
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:20 AM
I had to get a letter from my employer stating that I would not be working this summer. It's really not a big deal. You do what you need to do to care for your family. If it's only temporary and you're trying to better your life, who cares what others think? I hope things get back in swing for you guys!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherri8806
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:25 AM

They do it to keep people from abusing the system. If you don't have to provide proof that your hubby isn't working  right now then anyone could go say they needed it and get approved. Honestly though if you need the help don't be ashamed to ask you don't have to tell the boss why you need proof he is not working right now.

Mom2theboy1994
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Unfortunately the stigma is there because of the rampant abuse. Just remember, YOU are not an abuser. Hold your head high hon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)