• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When I see this kid show, I can't help but think...

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:17 AM
  • 51 Replies

I am going to talk about Nick Jr., but talk about whatever programs your kids watch.

Max & Ruby

Where are their parents? Grandma is in the show but lives in another house. Ruby seems to take all kinds of daily care of her brother and the highest age she could possibly be based on her toys and games is 10.

I used to think Ruby was a snooty sister... just let Max play. But then, I realized that she copes with toddler defiance with more grace and kindness than most parents, gently redirecting him all the time.

The Wonder Pets

Impossibly cute and just impossible, can grate the nerves after not too long.

Dora & Diego

Why is Diego's show so much cooler? Is it sexism? Or is his supposed to be the "older" show? If so, why? Also, if Dora is supposed to be the younger show, why does she have such a bad villian compared to Diego? Diego just has silly monkeys who make things difficult because they are playing, then they say sorry! Swiper's whole goal in life is to steal, and not even because he wants things, but just to be mean and foil the plans of others. What's worse, he's the character my daughter has loved most.

Franklin, Little Bear, etc

These have such pretty artistry. I know they are boring compared to Dora and Diego but I like DD to watch them too because always watching Dora/Diego is like always watching action movies.

My favorite shows come on HBO, they are called "Happily Ever After: Fairytales for Every Child"

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
texassahm
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Max & Ruby do not have parents because it's not about the parents - the show is about Max & Ruby - you have to really think like a child to understand why this show is so genius.  My daughters absolutely LOVE this show.

Wonder Pets is definitely cute, but the speech impedement on the chick (I think) sends a wrong message to small children who are just learning how to form words.  Nothing is wrong with people who have a speech impairment - its just I don't want that modeled for a toddler who is learning the right and wrong way to pronunciate his or her new words.

We loved Dora and Diego - mostly Dora, which is aimed towards girls.  Diego is aimed towards boys.

Franklin, Little Bear, etc - We like those too.  Although I like Fairytales for Every Child, my daughters were never interested in it.

We also like Little Bill - the show produced by Bill Cosby - It has a strong message about diversity and acceptance. 

When my daughters were 2-5, loved the Wiggles.  They went crazy for them....They are fun and silly.

kindawild79
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:33 AM

I think Dora was orginaly intended to be a gender neutral show. The hero just happend to be a female. It unfortunately failed at that goal though- I guess were just not that forward to have boys like a product with a girls main character.

.thickie.thick.
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:35 AM
Harmoni loves Nick Jr...
Yo Gabba Gabba (even though it looks like things I seen when I tripped lol)
Dora
Fresh Beat (is there only4 eppys? We watch the same ones!)
Wonder Pets
Max & Ruby
Olivia
Oomi Zoomi
Think that's it lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_2_jasper
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:36 AM

I'm so happy my son is not into TV at all!

rebabeach2
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:36 AM
Ming ming on the wonder pets might have a speech impediment, but Max only speaks in one word expressions. That's pretty poor language modeling too.

We don't let our 3 y/os watch Max and Ruby anymore. My kids have picked up some annoying behaviors from that stupid show.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2mandjax
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:38 AM

We are a disney channel family, but my questions are:

Imagination Movers: Which one (or ones) are sleeping with Nina? How darned big is that warehouse?

My Friends Tigger and Pooh: What happened to Christopher Robin? Why is the elephant the only one with an accent?

Handy Manny: Is Manny "seeing" Kelly?

HereWeGoAgain9
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Wow Wow Wubzie = waste of life! ughhhhhhhh

MarlaMomma
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Yo Gabba Gabba is creepy... I won't let that one come on.

I forgot about Olivia, we like her too.

Fresh Beats are cool too.

SadiasMomma
by Janet B. Benson on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:48 AM

the upside down show is just the dumbest shit alive

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:48 AM

Dora: Why does she have to shout everything?! It gives me a headache! Lol!

Can I talk about a movie? We don't have cable-lol! The first Curious George movie...we have it and my daughter LOVES it! My question is...why did they make the man in the yellow hat such a ditz? He's totally not like that in the books but in the movie...lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)