• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do you insist on blaming

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:32 AM
  • 50 Replies

everyone else?  The media, the school, you aunts husbands former bosses neice?

YOU are the parent and you are responsible for teaching your child about body image, sex, and everything that is important in life.  Your mediocre parenting skills are to blame, NOT the rest of the world.  

Media, schools, and other random outsiders should not be teaching your children about body image, sex, etc.  

So stop bitching already and do something about it!

ETA The outside world is influential yes, but as a parent YOU are the most influential person in your child's life and for the majority of their first 20 years you control their experiences.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2gud2btrue
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:33 AM

who are you talking to?

CFWife
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:37 AM

Myself obviously... did I forget to start by typing "dear diary" ?  My mistake.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:36 AM

BUMP!

CFWife
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM

BUMP!

gypsy_rose
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:56 PM

i have seen GREAT parents who have children or a child that are monsters.

sati769leigh
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:56 PM

you rock

pixie_trix
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I agree with you. For the most part.

Here's where I differ.

Parents can instill all the best ideology, ideas,  and outlooks on a child that they can.. However. At some point, each individual and only that individual is responsible for themselves. Period.  Whether that be what they eat, to their self image, to their self esteem, to whatever..  You and only you have control over or have responsibility for those things.. 

Each individul is responsible for and the only one that has any control over: their self image, their self esteem, their thoughts on their self worth, or anything else. No one else has control over those, no one else can "fix" those things for you or change them for you.

I do agree with you. Too many people blame anything and everything they can for how they view themselves and the world. It's far easier doing that than actually looking in the mirror, admitting that you and only you control or can change those things, and then do the work it takes to change them.  When you can blame someone else for how you feel about yourself, it makes it much easier and more comfortable to not change and just wallow in your own issues.

(( "you" is used in the general sense..not directly towards the OP or anyone else))

gulfcoastmom4
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Actually  during teen years there peers are the most influential.

gulfcoastmom4
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:03 PM

BTW come back when your oldest is older than 3 and see if you can say the same thing.

isra1986
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Yes, that is true, but unless you cut your child off from anything but you, there are other influences.  And those may be more tempting and be stronger than yours no matter how hard you try!

I am not Palestinian (although I married into the culture). I am human. I
believe in human rights for everyone. Some people may think that this
is not "our" fight, but it is to me, because no matter their religion or cultural background, they are our brothers and sisters in humanity.  I will protest right along side everyone in Palestine. I may not be able to change the world, but I can
die trying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)