Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you (and/or your kids) have a lot of books?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:20 AM
  • 19 Replies

I was cleaning and rearranging my son's room yesterday.  He never really plays up there, so I was bringing the bulk of his toys downstairs and organizing them in the closet.  I realized, as I was putting his books away and ran out of space on a 4 shelf bookcase, that he has an awful lot of books, lol.  I don't remember buying him this many, it just kind of happened.
Anyhow, DH is of the opinion that, "Nobody needs books.  Just go to the library, its stupid to own books."  Our son falls asleep "reading," a book EVERY night.  He loves to look at the pictures, "read," them, have adults read to him, etc.  Who honestly believes children don't need books?
I have a collection of classics and he told me mom, "Nobody NEEDS books.  I'm just going to throw them all away one day.  She'll never notice."  GRRRRRRRRR!  You don't throw away my Virginia Woolf collection .  I will be HOT. 
Am I wrong?  What is so "weird," about owning books?  (I don't even own that many.  He's just scared of reading or something.) 

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChelseySpelsey
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:21 AM
Ohhh yeah we have tons of books. I think it's wonderful to have a lot of books!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anetrnlov
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:21 AM

We easily have 300+ books AND we go to the library. lol

We are always looking for more....in my opinion there is no such thing as too many books.

kanatamom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:22 AM

We have lots of books.  I don't know how many books.  I have them on every floor of are house and in the bedrooms.

Heatherahh

We have tons of books

Schleetle

My sons have a ton of books... We just donated a whole big bag full to this ministry that comes by to pick stuff up, and they probably still have enough to fill a few more bags. MIL is a teacher so she buys them tons of books, and I think it's great. We also get them quite a few books for Christmas each year.

bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:23 AM

We have six bookcases full of books plus a constant flow from the library. You can never have enough books.

redheadjess
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Between my husband and I, we own a lot of books (hundreds I would say).  My daughters also own a lot of books AND we visit the library too.  We usually buy classics and new books for the kids - you can't always find the classics in the library nowadays.

nemiller
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:25 AM

i own a lot of books.  my son doesn't own "a lot" but he has many.  i actually try to downsize once in awhile, since we don't have unlimited space.  i have no problem buying a book and then donating it or passing it along if i know i'm not going to read it more than once.  i also have no problem going to the library instead of buying a book, but i don't exactly have the option of running out to barnes & noble here.  the books i really like, i keep and i usually come back to read them over and over.  my husband doesn't read much, either, but he would never tell me it's stupid to own books or that he was going to throw mine away.  he knows i love to read and it's one of the things he likes about me (he's said as much).

Mommie2Kailen
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:27 AM

my son has a lot of books, He gets them from family members always on his birthday. I think its wonderful, i must admit though I haven't read all the books to him, as of yet. Me I have a zillion and one cookbooks, It is my addiction. I love to find and try cooking new dishes.

sati769leigh
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:28 AM

oh goodness yes. we have over 1000 books for hubby and I alone on shelving lining many walls of the house. my son easily has a couple hundred books of his own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)