• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 month old killed while in her mother's arms when dad was taking a picture...

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:30 AM
  • 35 Replies

NEW YORK CITY — A 6-month-old baby was killed Saturday and her mother injured by a falling tree branch at New York's Central Park Zoo.

Police said the 33-year-old New Jersey woman was posing with her baby in front of the sea lion exhibit and her husband was taking their picture when the branch fell.

The woman and infant were taken to NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where the baby was pronounced dead. The mother is listed in stable condition.

Police identified the baby as Gianna Ricciutti of Union City, N.J.

Max Pulsinelli, a spokesman for the Wildlife Conservation Society, which runs the zoo, said he could not comment on the accident beyond what the police had said.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family," he said.

It's the second fatality caused by a tree branch this year at Central Park.

A 46-year-old man died in February when a branch heavy from snow fell and hit him.

In July 2009, a Google engineer was knocked unconscious after being hit on the head by a rotted tree branch at the park.

Source

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
basket4you
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:32 AM

How sad.  Their family are in my thoughts and prayers.

nemiller
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:32 AM

poor thing.  : (

harvgal04
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:33 AM

that is a horrible tragedy......2 in a year? That zoo needs to do something about the trees there.....take better care of them or start checking them out.

momofSkyeNShy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:33 AM
How sad. This is why I get upset when I see kids climbing trees around my house. They make my kids think it's ok and I'm scared of my girls getting hurt!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ps.iloveyou
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:34 AM
Omg. So sorry for that baby and her family. My heart goes out to them.

You would think they would start checkin the trees, trimming branches and what not after the first 2 times it happened, ugh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
two4one
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:35 AM

I just read that in the paper this morning. So sad.

MamaBear2cubs
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM

That's awful, you'd think that after the first death they would have trimmed down those branches.

sati769leigh
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:37 AM

OH MY GOD, that poor family

hippiemamaof2
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:37 AM

omg that's just awful!!!!

poor family!

Summer04
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:38 AM

So terrible sad:(

The article seems to be leading in the direction of blaming the zoo.

However, a tree branch falling from heavy snow is not abnormal.  My children know to try to stay away from trees when there is a ton of snow on them.

A rotted tree brand should've been taken care of, however, it may not have been noticed depending on how high in the tree it was.

This is a tragic accident & hopefully all parties involved will handle the situation properly & hopefully the family can find some peace & comfort!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)