• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is screaming at your kids a CPS worthy offense? Update in BLUE and one more in RED at the end

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:15 AM
  • 393 Replies

I am so torn right now...

Our new neighbors have been here for about a week and a half, they have 2 kids... one is about 2 or 3 and the other is probably 4. They are in the apartment right below us and I can hear just about everything that happens down there... thank goodness I am moving in 3 days.

I feel so bad for those kids though. I swear the only interaction they have with their mother is her SCREAMING  (like, nearly a screech type of screaming!!!) at them. Right now she has been at it for an hour with them, screaming at them to find something or another in between yelling at them to go to their room and threatening to tell their father. Someone keeps throwing stuff  too but I cant tell if it is her or the kids. The kids are crying pretty loud too.

This is a daily occurance, multiple times a day... Yesterday she went so far as to scream at her daughter "YOU LITTLE BITCH!" I was outside and she came outside to take her trash out muttering under her breath about "that little bitch, she wants to keep it up..."... I couldnt believe my ears...

Last night around 11pm the kids down there were STILL up running around and next thing I know "Get your fucking fingers out of my soda you disgusting beast!" and both of the parents were in on them... 

I dont know what to do... I really dont like the thought of calling CPS, because I know the system in our area, and I wouldnt wish that on anyone. But I cant help but think of how the family could benifit from something as simple as a parenting class on proper discipline. I dont know...

What do you think...

SO... I went over to say hi, and the lady wouldnt even open the door. I know she was home, I could hear her 30 seconds before and the car was in the driveway! I left her a note with my number and a message "Just wanted to drop in and say hi, I know moving and unpacking is stressful so if you ever need to vent or need anything give me a call or stop by, Im always home"... I havent heard from her. I think I will try again tommorow, but if I dont hear from her or get to talk to her I am calling... I can't let nothing be done and hope the next people who live here actually give a crap.

Im finally back... done moving and finally got my own computer hooked up. So...Just before we left I finally talked to someone from the apartment. The babysitter (who I had never seen before). Apparently the mom doesnt usually stay home with the kids (she had taken time off work to move) and has been unusually stressed... Babysitter knows how the mom gets when she is stressed and could believe the things I told her I had heard. No excuses for how the father behaves though.  I asked her if anyone had ever  called CPS on them before and she said not that she knew but wouldnt be surprised if someone would and the only reason she hadnt was because she didnt want to betray them.  So, I called. They didnt tell me what they were going to do about it. I hope that they do something, but I have some ears that still live in the building (that are equally appalled) and I made sure to let them know that if it keeps up that they need to call too and light a fire under some butts.  

I really hope that someone, anyone will make them see thats now how you treat your kids, stressed or not stressed. Those kids were so different when the babysitter was there... actually outside playing and I swear it was the first time I heard them laugh. I cant believe the babysitter would rather know that those kids are miserable when she isnt there than do something for them! 

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momsthename0609
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:18 AM

I don't think that yelling every once in awhile when you lose your temper is worthy enough to call CPS. However the extent of the yelling and the name calling is something that calling CPS would probably help. 

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:20 AM

No I don't think yelling, even in the situation you described is CPS worthy.

sweetheart5703
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I was told that yelling at a child will not get you in trouble with CPS, but of course any spanking or hitting THAT LEAVES A BRUISE will. I feel bad for those kids though if that is an EVERY DAY thing that is sad. 

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Yelling, in itself, is not CPS worth... however, calling the children names and degrading them constantly can be considered verbal abuse.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

Chrystal_A
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Tyically Id say no cps will not get involved for screaming BUT with the kids crying you dont know if they are bieng hit.Might metion that to cps..

bigmommasmomma
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Ive called DD a bitch many a time under my breathe! The woman seems to have some serious issues. If not CPS, talk with your landlord about all the disruptions.

BlessedToBMommy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM

so if youy saw someone calling thier two year old a "BI***" or the like you wouldnt call anyone???

So sad this world protects the guilty and not the innocent..

Quoting Dzyre1115:

No I don't think yelling, even in the situation you described is CPS worthy.

thisloveofmine
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Ok I don't know how CPS works and I don't want to get bashed for suggesting this but what about lying and saying you saw her throw something at her kid so they will investigate and see if the kids are being physically abused... because it sounds like they might be. I don't know if that would be a good idea though.... those poor kids! :(

kat247
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I wouldn't call just for screaming...maybe if she was screaming shes gonna kill them or something.What shes doing is mean as hell but not CPS worthy IMO.

clovismommy25
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I would call! That is not ok!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)