Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

German Shepherd owners...

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:50 AM
  • 25 Replies

How much dog food a day do you (or did you) feed your GS pup at about 20 weeks old?

Our GS eats approximately 4 cups of dog food a day, but seems like he is starving when we feed him... he inhales his food without chewing it most times and then he gags on it because it isn't chewed!

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:20 PM

He's still young, so he hasn't yet learned to pace himself (and some dogs never do, lol). It sounds like you're giving him enough food, but what kind of food do you give him? Some have too much filler and therefore there isn't enough substance to satisfy his hunger.

laineylarue
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM

My 8 month old GS is the same way...we feed him 4 cups a day total & he gets breakfast & dinner...he acts like he's starving even though I know he's not. LOL

JoshiRachelsMom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:41 PM

What brand of food do you give him?

FooLynRoo
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:49 PM

GSD's are known for a verocious appetite. You should feed according to size, and exercise.

My 118lb 3 year old only eats about 3 cups of canidae platinum (diet) food and is at a healthy weight. (two meals 1.5 cups a day) but he also doesn't do a lot of running because he has an ACL fix and elbow dysplasia.

He use to eat more and act like he was STARVING still, now not so much. he will even leave meals there to sit , our vet says he's probably regulating his own weight.

I would guess if he's around 75-100lbs he should have about 3-4 cups a day

I would feed him twice a day (split the amoutns) and had about a 1/4 cup of warm water to the bowl of kibble. it helps slow them down.

Dont exercise them hard for about an hour before or after meals.

25beengoodtome
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:51 PM

If you're feeding your GS pup 4 cups of food daily, try breaking it up into two meals, one 2-cup serving in the morning, then   early evenings give him the 2nd 2-cup serving He may slow down and not inhale his food so fast this way. I've always kept some(1/2- 1 cup) kibble in my dog's bowl, so they  can munch on a few bites during the day.

FooLynRoo
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:51 PM

I reccomend a high quality grain free food for him. And get him on some fish oils and get him on some GCM plus for life!

FooLynRoo
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Quoting 25beengoodtome:

If you're feeding your GS pup 4 cups of food daily, try breaking it up into two meals, one 2-cup serving in the morning, then   early evenings give him the 2nd 2-cup serving He may slow down and not inhale his food so fast this way. I've always kept some(1/2- 1 cup) kibble in my dog's bowl, so they  can munch on a few bites during the day.

I disagree, I never leave food so they can eat on demand, bad eating habits.

StarryRain
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I agree with all the posts before. Esp getting him on supplements! We used to have a purbred white GSD. I miss the old man....

aoaks2009
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Our vet had us hand feed our dog to get him to pace himself. We only had to do it for about a week. With large breed dogs, it is dangerous for him to eat so fast. We lost our german mix b/c he's stomach flipped. Try a higher protein food. Or offer him some bones or chew treats in between feedings. Good Luck.

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I have a GS mix and she inhales her food and shes lik 14 years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)