Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there no such thing as common courtesy anymore?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM
  • 21 Replies

Yesterday was my daughter's 5th birthday party.  My husband wanted to just do cake and ice cream with my family and then take her somewhere like disneyland.  I said no, I wanted her to have a party with her preschool friends.  We had passed out invitations and on the last day of school 2 weeks ago, they all said that they would be there.  So we planned the party and I was planning for 40.  My husband made all the food (smoked pulled pork, and smoked turkey legs).  I did a cake and cupcakes and got all kinds of decorations.  Audrie was all excited that her school friends were coming.  Well, the only one who came Audrie's best friend, who is a family friend, other than that not one showed up.  My family was there and of course only 2 people in my husband's family.  BUt that is expected.  She was so bummed that no one came.  I do not understand why no one called to say they could not come.  At least I could have prepared her, and we could have adjusted how much food we made.  What happened to common courtesy?  We spent $500 on a party that we could have done for $50 and gone somewhere fun with her.  I hate to say it but my husband was right.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lostandfound34
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I think that it is a thing of the past. I hope you LO still had fun!

audriesmommy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I think you are right.  It is so sad.  No one cares about other people's feelings, even a 5 year old..  She did still have fun, hubby felt so bad he promised her a trip to the toy store today.

Quoting lostandfound34:

I think that it is a thing of the past. I hope you LO still had fun!

janette234
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:28 AM
That happened to us a couple of times as well. Someone else I know invited all her kids classmates for chucky cheese and only 1 or 2 showed up -noone RSVP 'd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audriesmommy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I just do not understand why people are so rude.  We decided that for her sixth birthday we are taking her to Las Vegas to see Lion King.  I am done with parties for a little while.

Quoting janette234:

That happened to us a couple of times as well. Someone else I know invited all her kids classmates for chucky cheese and only 1 or 2 showed up -noone RSVP 'd.

SAMNMAYASMOM
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:31 AM

That's how it always works. If you want her to do something at school, I would just ask the teacher if it's ok to bring cupcakes on her bday... I had to learn that the hard way, too. Nobody came for her 4th birthday, and her 5th birthday, only one boy from her kindergarten class came. (His mom actually called to say they were coming) This last year I invited all the kids again, and only two showed up. I NEVER spend that much money! DH's family goes buck wild and spends HUNDREDS of dollars. I only spend about $100 for everything. They spend $300 and up... CRAZY!!!

De_Chick
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I hate birthday parties for this very reason. I don't know how many parties I had through the years where hardly any of the kids showed up. Hope she had a good day anyway!!!

imthatgirl728
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:33 AM

When you say "they all said they were coming" do you mean they called to rsvp, or that they verbally just said "we'll be there" when you either handed them an invite or told them about the party?

I do think it's rude if they rsvp'd that they's be there and then didn;t show, but if it was informal then maybe they didn;t feel obligated?

southernjess3
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:33 AM

poor thing....;(

MrsNewman
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM

My younger brothers birthday party was on the 25th and it was the same thing with him. Only 2 of his friends from school showed up. I think alot of people just forget though. With graduation parties, family vacations and stuff .... it just gets forgotten. Im sorry your daughter was disappointed though.

lostandfound34
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM

hey btw if she can read do me a favor! Let her see this

HAPPY

BIRTHDAY!!!!

blowing kisses

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)