Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feminist Flap over the Year of the Conservative Woman

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:38 AM
  • 3 Replies

Feminists' Flap Over 'Year of Conservative Women'

Feminists' Flap Over 'Year of Conservative Women'

SodaHead News 2 days ago

When is something that’s good for women not good for women? It depends on who you ask. After several wins by a crop of conservative (or conservative lite, if you will) women during recent elections, there appears to be a battle brewing between traditional feminists on the left and a contemporary wing of “independent feminists” on the right as to who can, or should speak for the modern woman.

In a recent essay on the Reason.com site, the publication of “free minds and free markets” waded into the controversy, wondering why feminists on the left are so bent out of shape over the rise of right-leaning women who identify as feminists, only without embracing the traditional dogma of that movement’s founders.

To be sure, the so-called “Palin Derangement Syndrome” may be playing a part in the controversy, a suggestion that the endorsement of a number of these GOP candidates by the former half-term Alaska governor and self-described feminist is rankling liberal fems.

Citing a recent Washington Post blog in which a writer railed against Palin and other right feminists usurping the mantle of the movement, the essay blasted the traditional feminists for lashing out at anyone who dared to “dissent from the sisterhood’s orthodoxy on abortion or pay equity, or who believe that women in America today are not oppressed by ‘the patriarchy.’”

It also pointed to a recent Slate article in which Palin was painted as the latest in a line of women who call themselves feminists while opposing the feminist movement, aka “feminist anti-feminists.”

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
sati769leigh
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM

NO CLUE but here is a bump

love_my_family
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Ugh.....soap box topic for me.  So, I will just bump.

my4yahoos
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Isn't being a feminist about making sure women have the choice to do what they want like men? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)