• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Apartment dwelling mommies... piog

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM
  • 28 Replies

I have a question for those of you that may live in an apartment?

We are currently trying to sell our home. We live in the downtown district of our area and the homes are small and expensive. Our current home is only 1600 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 1 bath. Too small for our family now that our family has grown.

My husband would like to purchase a larger home (at least 5 bedrooms, 3 baths etc), however, we do not plan on staying in the area and I'm not sure that it is a wise investment to be tied down to another home. As it is, he travels for business 2-3 weeks out of every month. We had to hire a yard man to do yard work, I am constantly having to call the electrician, plumber etc (older home) because he is gone so often.

I mentioned that we could rent a luxury apartment on the city strip for the same that we are paying in our mortgage now. They have lovely luxuries available right on the main strip (walking distance to everything in the city)... 1600+ sqft, 3 bedrooms etc. About what we have now, only NO maintenance issues or upkeep on our end.

My husband lived in apartments all during college and insists that I would be miserable in an apartment with two children. So to those of you that live in apartments, is it really that bad? Am I nuts? Lol

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chrystal_A
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Go check it out!!Go talk to the neighbors see how nice the community is etc. Post in the community section on CL and look for an insiders option.Look for reviews...

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Oh everyone I know loves their apartments... but nobody that I have talked to has children either. Lol.

Quoting Chrystal_A:

Go check it out!!Go talk to the neighbors see how nice the community is etc. Post in the community section on CL and look for an insiders option.Look for reviews...

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM

i hated living in apartments. always worried if my kids spilled something if it was going to stain. just never felt like my place. so happy to finally have a house that is ours.

sati769leigh
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:59 AM

some apartments are not bad at all. i have lived in some that were a nightmare, thin walls. bad neighbors drugs smoke just horrible. but i have lived in some that were just FINE. you honestly get what you pay for so if you go cheap you will likely get CHEAP. dont be afraid to visit an apartment building later at night and get a feel for how wild it is or isnt

mommabear82
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Here is the problem I have with my apartment. I have three children and no yard. They can't go outside and play like most kids get to. We are looking for a house with three bedrooms. As I want my daughter to have her own room.

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Quoting sati769leigh:

some apartments are not bad at all. i have lived in some that were a nightmare, thin walls. bad neighbors drugs smoke just horrible. but i have lived in some that were just FINE. you honestly get what you pay for so if you go cheap you will likely get CHEAP. dont be afraid to visit an apartment building later at night and get a feel for how wild it is or isnt

These are luxury apartments (not cheap) and the starting rent is $1500 a month. Hardwood floors, upgraded kitchens, large bedrooms etc. My husband does have a valid point in that we wouldn't have a yard for the children, but the apartments do have tennis courts, a playground, a pool etc.

colins_mom
by Heather on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM
I live in a town house, and the only maitinence that I have to do is shovel snow in the winter. I love it. I have always loved apartments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Becky.Mom.of.2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Eh...I have a love/hate relationship with my apartment. I love that it is nice, rent is decent and we can have pets. I HATE not having my own yard, not being able to do laundry, vacuum, have people over late. With it being summer I'd like to lay out in the sun and tan, but I'm too paranoid anyone will see me and I know the downstairs neighbor pokes fun at me a lot. Anyway, there are a lot of pros and cons. I guess that would be everywhere though.

.stella.
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM

It depends on the apartment layout and what kind of people your neighbors are. I have one neighbor that has an older son and beats on the wall when my 2 and 4 yr olds get hyper in the day time. I just HATE not having a yard, especially in the summer time when my kids want to be outside all day, we have to take them downstairs to the park that is full of other older kids :(

serioussifL
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM

When I lived in an apartment, it wasnt that bad. I didnt have kids, but I think it would be fine if I did (if the apartment was big enough!). Keep in mind that if you live on the first floor, things will be easier to move in, but you have to deal with people stomping over your head. And if you live on the 3rd(or whatever) floor, its a pain in the ass to walk up all those stairs, but there is nobody above you. Also, some neighbors like to bump their music during waking hours. However, we had access to a nice pool, we had a wonderful deck with storage space, maintinence issues were always fixed, and there were laundry facilities on site.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)