Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this normal?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM
  • 7 Replies
My daughter will be 5 in august and still throws tantrums. She has to wear an eye patch for her lazy eye and throws a tantrum about that every day. She is currently on her bed for throwing one. We were going to go to the play ground but now we aren't because of this. She thinks she is the boss. She tells me no and stop all the time. She is constantly rolling her eyes and getting huffy and whiny. What do you suggest?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MrsSamMerlotte
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:09 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gulfcoastmom4
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Is that the only thing she throw tantrums about?

MrsSamMerlotte
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:22 PM
Not always. She whines when she doesn't get her way often but its not a full blown tantrum

Quoting gulfcoastmom4:

Is that the only thing she throw tantrums about?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sati769leigh
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:25 PM

yup sounds normal to me. i would ignore them personally. walk over her, dont talk to her. (yes be aware to make sure she doesnt hurt herself) but otherwise IGNORE THEM. COMPLETELY. she will eventually get bored and stop

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Sadly, that's normal for her age. Ignoring the bad behavior when she's throwing a tantrum and such, and praising her when she's behaving nicely always worked for my 2.

wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM
When you find out let me know. My seven yr old still acts this way, not so much the tantrum, but the whinning is non stop at times. She is fine at school and day camp which leads me to believe it is attention seeking. She has two older brothers she is always competetig with. It drives me crazy.
tigerlillyt7
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:27 PM

At this age they are throwing tantrums to get attention and to get what they want (if it has worked before) I know this, I run a daycare and I used to be a Special Education Teacher. You need to work out a routine and stick with it. You need to tell her (in a very matter of fact voice..with no emotion) that throwing tantrums is not acceptable and put her in time out.. When she is not upset you need to talk to her about other options of showing her feelings or verbalising her feelings.Put her in charge of what will work and is acceptable to you too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)