Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vaccinations...

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:40 PM
  • 9 Replies

In 1980 the world health assembly announced that vaccines were no longer needed because small pox had been eradicated throughout the world (because of the vaccine.) If everyone around the world vaccinated, do you think more disease would be eradicated and we could stop vaccinating for them all together?

Information retrieved from: http://www.cdc.gov/features/smallpoxeradication/

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:45 PM

bump

Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:49 PM

no comments?

luv_my_xiya
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:50 PM

better hygiene solved most of the problem...dd isnt vaccinated, so i wouldnt agree with everyone getting vaccinated

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Yes I do think if everyone did but there are too many developing countries that can't even feed themselves let alone pay for vaxs and then there are those who refuse.   Don't see it happening IRL.  Back in the 80's it was common to vax without question( no Internet) now as you see not so much. 

I remember when they made a HUGE deal out of Lisa Bonet(cosby show..Lenny Kravitz x-wife) refused to vax their daughter you would of thought she was trying to kill her on purpose.

Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:59 PM

THe last none patient was a hospital cook. Surely his hygene wasnt horrible....lol. How was he the lucky one to get smallpox then? If its based on hygiene.

Quoting luv_my_xiya:

better hygiene solved most of the problem...dd isnt vaccinated, so i wouldnt agree with everyone getting vaccinated

KandiceN
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:59 PM

The decline in illnesses started way before vaccines, it was due to better health care and better hygine.  I think if people washed their hands (the RIGHT way) illnesses wouldn't be nearly as a big of an issue than they are.

eringobrough
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Yes SOME diseases could be completely eraticated by vaccines.  Diseases that are transmitted strictly by humans especially polio and measles.  Those two only that have one antigen type, and makes it easier.  If the entire world was vaccinated, these diseases would cease to exist in the wild.  (Of course it's possible some crazies could use them as biological weapons.) 

But bacterial diseases (like meningitis) couldn't be eraticated by vaccines only.  People carry the bateria in them without having any symptoms - the symptoms only show up in some people.  And there are so many different strains of the bacteria - like the pneumococcus bacteria.  The vaccine covers the top strains, but there are others.  Whooping cough is another example - it's also bacterial. 

In the case of bacterial diseases the vaccines are effective at stopping the spread of a disease in a community, reducing the insidence of the disease and can lesson the seriousness of the disease - thereby also reducing deaths from the disease.  But I don't think vaccinating alone can completely eridicate bacterial diseases.

eringobrough
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Quoting KandiceN:

The decline in illnesses started way before vaccines, it was due to better health care and better hygine.  I think if people washed their hands (the RIGHT way) illnesses wouldn't be nearly as a big of an issue than they are.

Within a community diseaes are cyclical - they go up and down then up again and down again.  However, it wasn't until the introduction of vaccines that the insidences of a disease went down and stayed down.  And when vaccine rates drop, the incident of a disease rises.

Also handwashing won't eradicate the many airborn diseases that vaccines help prevent.

Susan0805
by ~♥~Susan~♥~ on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Exactly, it would only affect disease spread through contact but not disease spread via airborne.

Quoting eringobrough:

Quoting KandiceN:

Within a community diseaes are cyclical - they go up and down then up again and down again.  However, it wasn't until the introduction of vaccines that the insidences of a disease went down and stayed down.  And when vaccine rates drop, the incident of a disease rises.

Also handwashing won't eradicate the many airborn diseases that vaccines help prevent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)