Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does DEVIANCE always equal bad?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:55 PM
  • 18 Replies

Poll

Question: Does deviance always equal bad? Yes or no?

Options:

Yes. (Explain.)

No. (Explain.)

Other. (Explain.)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 10

View Results

Deviance in a sociological context describes actions or behaviours that violate cultural norms including formally-enacted rules (e.g., crime) as well as informal violations of social norms (e.g., rejecting folkways). It is the purview of sociologists, psychologists, psychiatrists and criminologists to study how these norms are created, how they change over time and how they are enforced.

Using this definition, do you think deviance ALWAYS equals bad? And...can you defend your viewpoint?

This is the real me...I am the 20 year old, mother of 3, with the pleasure of raising 2 and the knowledge that 1 is looking out for me as my guardian angel. I am the wife to a soilder of the US Army. I love my family and my friends. I get my feelings hurt easily when I am under attack, but I can usually forgive my attackers. I am my own person and I won't change for anyone. If you don't like me, that's ok, You're on the opposite side of a computer screen, and you can't hurt me with anything but words. You're not real in my mind. Because I have the power to sign off and ignore you. I will always be here though if ANYONE needs me...even if we have never seen eye to eye. I am me, if you can't handle that...oh well.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lostandfound34
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:59 PM

No, there is a fine line!

smurfiest
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Are you writing a paper on this topic for a class? (It just sounds like an essay question) My answer would be more detailed if you are.

MrsBlack530
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got, and you'll always feel what you always felt

ArmyWifeNoDrama
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:05 PM

What exactly does this mean?

Quoting MrsBlack530:

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got, and you'll always feel what you always felt

This is the real me...I am the 20 year old, mother of 3, with the pleasure of raising 2 and the knowledge that 1 is looking out for me as my guardian angel. I am the wife to a soilder of the US Army. I love my family and my friends. I get my feelings hurt easily when I am under attack, but I can usually forgive my attackers. I am my own person and I won't change for anyone. If you don't like me, that's ok, You're on the opposite side of a computer screen, and you can't hurt me with anything but words. You're not real in my mind. Because I have the power to sign off and ignore you. I will always be here though if ANYONE needs me...even if we have never seen eye to eye. I am me, if you can't handle that...oh well.

ArmyWifeNoDrama
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I am trying to. But I am on the fence.  This class in general has me on the fence alot and I cannot come up with any good examples. I can explain what deviance is and give an example of deviance in a bad way but it's too close to what the book says to use and I cannot come up with a good example. I know an example what I cannot make what I think sound good in words.

Quoting smurfiest:

Are you writing a paper on this topic for a class? (It just sounds like an essay question) My answer would be more detailed if you are.

WhitleyLyles
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I voted no--but there is a very fine line as lostandfound34 said.

ArmyWifeNoDrama
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:08 PM

This was the actual assignment.. She put "What is deviance? Does it always equal bad? Defend your answer."

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Deviating from the social norms isn't always bad, it depends on the norm that is not followed.  An example was segregation, that was a social norm as well as law.  If you allowed whites & blacks at that time, you were deviating from the norm. 

ArmyWifeNoDrama
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Ladies I really need your help on this one. I do not want to fail. I have 5 papers due today and this is the only one that doesn't require a book to do. I am taking 4 classes and all of them are paper writing classes. I am taking Ethics and Society at the same time as Sociology and it is all getting confusing. It's like it's two different subjects that are the same thing. Ugh. I hate this class.

smurfiest
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Deviance as a positive- as a means of expressing one's inner identity, living for oneself, pursuing one's own happiness even if it flies in the face of social convention.

In some African countries, homosexuality = deviance as a cultural norm. And yet, these countries still have homosexuals, even under threat of death. Why would someone commit a 'deviant' offense punishable by death? Obviously it fulfills a need, a powerful need. To the homosexual individual, the 'deviant' act is a positive thing, and not bad at all.

Quoting ArmyWifeNoDrama:

What exactly does this mean?

Quoting MrsBlack530:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)