Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sick & fever help please.. update

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:58 PM
  • 12 Replies

My daughter has been running a fever since Friday night.. I check it under the arm and it has ranged from 99.8-101.5 which means her temp was 100.8-102.5 it hasn't gone any lower or higher. She has been exteremly fussy and won't sleep through the night which is very unusual.. I have been giving her Tylenol but it's the cvs brand because normal Tylenol has been recalled & we don't have motrin & neither did they because it's been recalled.. She seems to be earring fine but I'm just worried about the fever not dropping.. What should I do??

update:
We took her to acute kid or something like that. Its an after hours pediatric place and they told me everything looked fine (her ears, nose, throat, she didnt look dehydrated, and blah blah blah) well her fever ended up breaking last night and she was fine all morning so I went to work. At noon I got a call and her fever was 99.5 so I got home within 15 minutes and it was already at 102.2 and that was under the arm. Well I got her into her doctors office at 2 and it was back down to 100.6 and turns out she had a BAD DOUBLE ear infection!! That why shes been acting the way she has all weekend. So they gave her a shot and a perscription and sent me home and we go back next week to make sure she is getting better and not worse. I was so mad that the after hours doctors office said her ears looked great and today I find out thats been wrong the whole weekend.. O I felt so bad for my baby girl.. She's still running a 101 fever and I just gave her some more tylenol but I'm hoping it will be down by tomorrow.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Call her on-call pediatrician and in the mean time...

What is a fever:  An increase in body temperature.

What causes a fever:  

• Infection. This is the most common cause of a fever. Infections may affect the whole body or a specific body part (localized infection).
  • Medications, such as antibiotics, barbituates, narcotics, antihistamines, and many others.  This is refferred to as drug fevers.  Some medications, such as antibiotics, raise the body temperature directly, others interfere with the body's ability to readjust its temperature when other factors cause it to rise.
  • Severe trauma or injury, such as a heart attack, stroke, heat exhaustion or heatstroke, or burns.
  • Other medical conditions, such as arthritis, hyperthyroidism and even some cancers, such as leukemia, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and liver and lung cancer.

What is considered a "normal" temperature for children: 

Measurement methodNormal temperature range
Rectal 97.9° F to 100.4° F
Ear 96.4°F to 100.4°F
Oral 95.9°F to 99.5°F
Axillary (Armpit) 94.5°F to 99.1°F
Temporal artery (forehead) 95.0°F to 100.4°F

Fever Classifications:

Low Grade -- 100.4 - 102.2

Medium Grade -- 102.3 - 104.0

High Grade -- 104.1 -- 106.0

Hyperpyrexia -- >106.0

Alternative methods for reducing a fever:

• Drink as much fluid, especially water, as you can in order to replace fluid loss. It will also help to bring down body temperature.
  • Suck on ice or popcicles.  This helps to cool the body as well as keep the body hydrated.
  • Lots and lots of rest.
  • Avoid sudden changes in atmospheric temperature.
  • Take cool bathes, fill a bath tub, submerge and lay down for 5' approximately. Repeat as needed until the fever is down.
  • If the fever does not exceed 102 degrees let it run its course. It helps the body to fight infection and eliminate toxins.

When to call a doctor:

• The fever is accompanied by unusual wimpering or crying 
  • If your child is tugging or pulling at their ear 
  • Loss of appetite, especially clear liquids 
  • If your child has fewer wet diapers than usuall
  • If the fever is accompanied by diarrhea, vomiting or a rash 
  • Difficult, noisy or labored breathing; blue lips 
  • Thick yellow or green mucuos 
  • If the fever is accompanied by seizures
malliardfive
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM

A fever is the body's response to keep your child healty and is a signal that something may be wrong.  How old is your daughter?

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Great advise and info by PP but for me with the fever being so low and as long as she seems fine other wise I personally would wait it out until tomorrow unless something got worse.

KBM99
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM
6 months

Quoting malliardfive:

A fever is the body's response to keep your child healty and is a signal that something may be wrong.  How old is your daughter?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KBM99
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:15 PM
The only thing I think it can be is she's sick or teething but idk how to rule out one? What are signs of teething? My son never ran a fever when he teethed and he was never fussy he just drooled & she's been drooling for about 2 months now.. But her gums don't feel like anything is coming through..

Quoting anetrnlov:

Call her on-call pediatrician and in the mean time...

What is a fever:  An increase in body temperature.

What causes a fever:  

• Infection. This is the most common cause of a fever. Infections may affect the whole body or a specific body part (localized infection).

• Medications, such as antibiotics, barbituates, narcotics, antihistamines, and many others.  This is refferred to as drug fevers.  Some medications, such as antibiotics, raise the body temperature directly, others interfere with the body's ability to readjust its temperature when other factors cause it to rise.

• Severe trauma or injury, such as a heart attack, stroke, heat exhaustion or heatstroke, or burns.

• Other medical conditions, such as arthritis, hyperthyroidism and even some cancers, such as leukemia, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and liver and lung cancer.

What is considered a "normal" temperature for children: 

Measurement methodNormal temperature range
Rectal 97.9° F to 100.4° F
Ear 96.4°F to 100.4°F
Oral 95.9°F to 99.5°F
Axillary (Armpit) 94.5°F to 99.1°F
Temporal artery (forehead) 95.0°F to 100.4°F

Fever Classifications:

Low Grade -- 100.4 - 102.2

Medium Grade -- 102.3 - 104.0

High Grade -- 104.1 -- 106.0

Hyperpyrexia -- >106.0

Alternative methods for reducing a fever:

• Drink as much fluid, especially water, as you can in order to replace fluid loss. It will also help to bring down body temperature.

• Suck on ice or popcicles.  This helps to cool the body as well as keep the body hydrated.

• Lots and lots of rest.

• Avoid sudden changes in atmospheric temperature.

• Take cool bathes, fill a bath tub, submerge and lay down for 5' approximately. Repeat as needed until the fever is down.

• If the fever does not exceed 102 degrees let it run its course. It helps the body to fight infection and eliminate toxins.

When to call a doctor:

• The fever is accompanied by unusual wimpering or crying 

• If your child is tugging or pulling at their ear 

• Loss of appetite, especially clear liquids 

• If your child has fewer wet diapers than usuall

• If the fever is accompanied by diarrhea, vomiting or a rash 

• Difficult, noisy or labored breathing; blue lips 

• Thick yellow or green mucuos 

• If the fever is accompanied by seizures

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KBM99
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:17 PM
That's what I'm trying to do because I hate taking my kids to the hospital.. It just worries me because last time my daughter got sick she was hospitalized for 3 days because she had rsv and pnuemonia :( so it makes me a little nervous..

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Great advise and info by PP but for me with the fever being so low and as long as she seems fine other wise I personally would wait it out until tomorrow unless something got worse.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KBM99
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:28 PM
Bump??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacy_c05
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:31 PM

That fever isn't at a dangerous level. If she isn't showing any other symptoms she is just fighting a virus and the fever is actully helping. Just continue to do what you are doing. And make sure she stays hydrated.

BTW the CVS brand has the same ingredients as the regular tylenol.

Lullababy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:42 PM

The temp itself is not a good indication of illness.  If she is playing, eating, drinking and wetting diapers then probably ok.  If she becomes lethargic I would worry.  She may sleep more and eat less but lethargy is where there would be no change in behavior, just sleepy all of the time w/ eating and drinking.  It's a little scary when you have seen them so sick before and you have reason to be extra cautious.  My youngest went from having a virus like the rest of us to in the hospital with and IV of antibiotics for pneumonia in just a day.  She was fine and then lethargic.  I am the type of person who barely gets a fever and my normal temp is 97.4 but I have been very ill before without the high fever.  

KBM99
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:59 PM
Yea when my daughter got rsv & pnuemonia she never once ran a fever..

Quoting Lullababy:

The temp itself is not a good indication of illness.  If she is playing, eating, drinking and wetting diapers then probably ok.  If she becomes lethargic I would worry.  She may sleep more and eat less but lethargy is where there would be no change in behavior, just sleepy all of the time w/ eating and drinking.  It's a little scary when you have seen them so sick before and you have reason to be extra cautious.  My youngest went from having a virus like the rest of us to in the hospital with and IV of antibiotics for pneumonia in just a day.  She was fine and then lethargic.  I am the type of person who barely gets a fever and my normal temp is 97.4 but I have been very ill before without the high fever.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)