• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"healthy" birthday cake?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:08 PM
  • 24 Replies
Is there such a thing? If there is, can someone give me a recipe? I've had horrible eating habits my entire. Life and I'm trying to change that so I can teach DS how to eat healthy.
Anyway, I still want him to have cake for his first birthday, but I don't want one loaded with sugar. I'd like to make something tasty and sweet with repaying, but good for you.
Thanks in advance!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Use agave nectar instead of white sugar and make it completely homemade so you know what's in it...

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:31 PM

angel food cake with fresh berries

make it homemade with homemade whipping cream so you can control the sugar content

Ajanee12
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM

when my mom makes cakes she used Applesauce instead of Oil, so thats a little bit healthier, and it tastes way better imo.

serioussifL
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I think in addition to eating healthy, eat in moderation. Making cupcakes is a great way to visually see one serving size.

Mommavieve
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM
Does it bake like sugar? Any suggestions for the frosting?

Quoting anetrnlov:

Use agave nectar instead of white sugar and make it completely homemade so you know what's in it...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anetrnlov
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Sure does...here's a site that gives you the conversions..

http://www.allaboutagave.com/

I have not tried this...

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Yogurt-Icing-19988

Quoting Mommavieve:

Does it bake like sugar? Any suggestions for the frosting?

Quoting anetrnlov:

Chelles0202
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:37 PM

You could always do carrot cake with homemade frosting. And as another said, use applesauce instead of oil.

Amber211
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Oh! I just got a book called "The Sneaky Chef". It shows you good ways to sneak healthy foods into not so healthy foods. It's geared toward foods for your kids, but I use it for my whole family :)

TawnyR
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:42 PM
I use ff whipped topping and chocolate pudding mix for chocolate icing. You can use sugar free pudding too. 1 small package of pudding mix to 1 16oz container of whipped topping. More than covers a 8-9 inch round double layer cake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommavieve
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:42 PM
That looks tasty! Perfect for a summer birthday too.

Quoting SuperPickle:

angel food cake with fresh berries

make it homemade with homemade whipping cream so you can control the sugar content

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)