Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with college info please...

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:20 PM
  • 11 Replies
I applied for my community college today and i read on fafsa that you have to do that first then you can fill out fafsa. My question is do i have to wait to be accepted or can i go ahead and fill out my fafsa. Also I want to go this august. Is that too little time? Do i need to wait till jan?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2ljh
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:21 PM

You can get it done by August, no problem.  As long as you have your school code (which you can look up) you can go ahead and fill out the FAFSA.  Good luck.

dragonfly_79
by Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:22 PM

It shouldn't be too little time, especially at a community college.  You don't even have to apply 1st, just pick the schools you want to go to, and they send them the info so they know you applied. 

lovingwifey
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:23 PM

you can go ahead and apply.  You will get the money late, but you will get it.  

ronandamy1
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM

fill out your fafsa now.....it can transfer to any college once you are accepted

BabyinAug08
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM

You can go a head and fill out your fafsa for the 10-11 school year. Usually community colleges accept everyone so just put the school's code on the fafsa. Once you are accepted by the school, they will let you know what you need to prove your independent status. Usually I show them my tax return and scholarship info. You get it based on need and availabilty. I would also apply for scholarship, I have a four year scholarship but I still have to pay for book. Usually I can get $500-$1000 by writing essays and doing community service. 

ashleigh24
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:30 PM
How do i find out about scholarships? Plus could i even get one being married and a sahm? I am so lost on all of this.

Quoting BabyinAug08:

You can go a head and fill out your fafsa for the 10-11 school year. Usually community colleges accept everyone so just put the school's code on the fafsa. Once you are accepted by the school, they will let you know what you need to prove your independent status. Usually I show them my tax return and scholarship info. You get it based on need and availabilty. I would also apply for scholarship, I have a four year scholarship but I still have to pay for book. Usually I can get $500-$1000 by writing essays and doing community service. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ajanee12
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:31 PM

for august the Fasfa had to be filled out by the beggining of June i believe, i got an email but since i graduate i dont need to reflie.

MandaTx79
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Fill out your FAFSA online, it's much quicker than doing the paper form.  Like the pp's said, you will need the schools code, but it will give you a link to look that up.  Time wise you should be fine.

Talk to the schools counselors about scholorships and grants and stuff.  They should have that information available.

mom2ljh
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Check your school's website.  I just won a $1048 scholarship for next year from my school.  Granted, I'm heading into my second full semester so the award was based on my spring performance.  It doesn't hurt to apply, but chances are, all the institution scholarships have all ready been awarded, so keep it in mind for next year.  
You can also check scholarships.com and fastweb.com.  They'll search independent scholarship sources for you. 

Quoting ashleigh24:

How do i find out about scholarships? Plus could i even get one being married and a sahm? I am so lost on all of this.

Quoting BabyinAug08:

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

ashleigh24
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I just filled out my FAFSA and I can't wait to find out what I can get if I can get any help!!! I really do not want to do student loans I can't afford that right now!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)