Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

These doctor's dont know wtf they are talking about...*update*

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM
  • 51 Replies

Okay so my daughter is 1. she has had a cough and runny nose for 2 weeks.i took her to see her doctor after the first 3 days. Her pediatrician told me to give her benadryl..i did every 8 hours like i was supposed to. Well then a week later she starts choking and gagging and diarrhea...back to the docs. she says no more milk just pedialyte for 2 days...OK did that...still pooping runny(sorry TMI) and now vomiting since Friday. Friday the docs. office over here is not open and after 2 vomit sessions and diarrhea all morning i took her to the e.r. they said keep her on pedialyte, no milk, no water. ok ...today...6 runny stools, 3 vomit sessions, and 2 naps(she is very sleepy). the after hours docs. office says just keep giving her pedialyte...wtf!! that is what she is throwing up dumba**. any of you had this problem before?? I'm stressed out and the docs are just saying the same shiiit. Would you take her back? sorry so long!!

*update* okay so my dd woke up from her nap. she was hungry so i gave her some dry cheerios and suprisingly she kept them down, then we did 3 ounces of watered down sprite and so far so good. thanks for all your help ladies and i'll keep you posted.  

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xXxLillithxXx
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Uhm yeah I'd take her back and demand something be done. If she can't keep fluids down she needs to be on an IV. Don't ever question yourself. You know whats going on with her more than them and if it doesn't seem right then stand up and demand they pay attention.

morethanme_you
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM

what do you want them to do? she has a virus - they can take a while to dissapear. if she can't keep her pedialyte down, take her in to get her on an IV. there is no miracle drug.

Denecia
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:36 PM
They are just making sure she gets fluids. There really isn't anything they could do unless the baby is dehydrated. It sounds like the flu and the flu just has to run it's course.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Earthangel0107
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:37 PM

i know there is no miracle drug...i just dont want her to dehydrate and the docs are telling me the same thing. an iv seems obvious but not to these docs.

Quoting morethanme_you:

what do you want them to do? she has a virus - they can take a while to dissapear. if she can't keep her pedialyte down, take her in to get her on an IV. there is no miracle drug.

activitymode

if you think she needs to go to the hospital take her.  hope she gets better soon.

emmiesmommy1109

Well when DD was about 4 months we all got a bad stomach virus and it sounded a lot like this. Except the ER ran blood and urine tests and gave her something to help with the vomiting. She was vomiting so much bile was coming up. After a few days of pedialyte, she was ok. Maybe ask about a nausea medicine. Or ask them to run tests.

morethanme_you
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:38 PM

ginger ale (canada dry), ginger tea, apple juice (diluted), sprite, water. she doesn't have to have JUST pedialyte.

Quoting Earthangel0107:

i know there is no miracle drug...i just dont want her to dehydrate and the docs are telling me the same thing. an iv seems obvious but not to these docs.

Quoting morethanme_you:

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:39 PM

You just have to wait till it passes. If she seems dyhydrated take her back to the drs and they can give her an iv.

sadiesmom87
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:39 PM

My daughter was sick like that a few months ago. She couldn't hold down pedialyte or water for 3 days. We took her to the ER and she had strep. One shot of penicillin and she was better the next day. Maybe have your daughter checked for strep? Whatever is wrong with her sounds very similar to what was going on with DD. Good luck, momma. I hope she gets better soon.

cgriff89
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I dont know if you are already doing this but when you give her the pedialyte just give her small sips about every 15 min. or so it may help her to stop throwing up to much

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)