• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some tips on dog eatting habits....

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:08 PM
  • 6 Replies

Does anyone have any good tips// tricks on how to slow a dog down when eating?

And teach her to chew.

She's a small dog [Rat terrier]

We feed her twice[once in the morning, once at night]

But she just Hoovers it down like no body's business..

It's to the point that we have to stand with her and tell her to stop and chew[about ever 3 seconds.]
Or she chokes.

She doesn't chew, she just swallows.

Help, please?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Kina2308
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I have no idea what to do with this situation.  All of the dogs that we have ever owned always had food left down all the time.  They learned that they would always have food so they only ate when hungry.  Hopefully someone can help you.  BUMP!

25beengoodtome
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I keep 1/2 - 1 cup of kibble in the dog's bowl 24/7. They learn the food is always there, & they won't starve, so they eat a piece or two every couple of hours.

ElevenEleven
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:19 PM

That's how our other dogs are//were, they are starting to pick up on her and the way she eats.

I now keep them seperated cause she would probably cause a frenzy if I tried to feed them together and they are bigger dogs so it would not be a good thing at all..

Now I don't know what to do, cause it seems to have gotten a LITTLE better, but nothing like I thought it would.

Quoting Kina2308:

I have no idea what to do with this situation.  All of the dogs that we have ever owned always had food left down all the time.  They learned that they would always have food so they only ate when hungry.  Hopefully someone can help you.  BUMP!

ElevenEleven
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM

We've tried that..
She just eats and eats.
She eats the other dog's food too.

And too, why I don't trust her to leave the food out any more, when we had gotten her, she was doing really good, and then one day she was able to get into the dog and ate herself to the almost point of  "stomach twisting" but In remember that peroxide helps them to bring it up i was able to do that.

Quoting 25beengoodtome:

I keep 1/2 - 1 cup of kibble in the dog's bowl 24/7. They learn the food is always there, & they won't starve, so they eat a piece or two every couple of hours.

stefvan
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I always keep food out for my dog.  Maybe your dog is really hungry by the time you feed her??

ElevenEleven
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM

She's gaining weight, so is it possible for her to be hungry and gain?

I mean too, they get fed and get bones and treats, so it's not like they go without ALL day.

Quoting stefvan:

I always keep food out for my dog.  Maybe your dog is really hungry by the time you feed her??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)