Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Someone please give me good advice

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM
  • 12 Replies

OK I need help.  The only way I can purchase a house is through a rent to own situation.  I found a perfect house, that need minimal work to it, and the work can be tacked on to the mortgage.  I.E new roof, windows etc.  I talked to the neighbor across the street, and he said my side of the street is the good part.  The other side, past my house and past another street, is the section 8, drug dealing, slumlord part of town.  He told me that the only worries he would have, is the people down the street, but for the most part, they keep to themselves.  I looked on the inside and the kitchen is brand new, the bathroom is brand new.  The only thing I would do, is put in a privacy fence, shed, new roof, windows and some landscaping.  My older daughter loves it and wants to do so much to it.  The good thing, is it is near both their private schools, and near everything else. 

Would this be something you would purchase and just put an alarm system in and do the work?  I loved the house.  The guy told me also, he would put on the roof for me and brand new windows and gutter for a fair price and I can pay him back in installments. He said my next door neighbor is the type of neighbor that would help me bring in the groceries, shovel my walk, and also watch over my house. 

Please someone give me some advice.  I would appreciate it. 

Thanks,

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
La-Belle-Vie
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I would first talk to other people in the neighborhood on your block and ask if they have had any problems and if they could would they move as well.  Most of the time people are willing to tell you the truth, so take it by word of mouth.

If they are comfortable living there, never had any problems, etc. then I would be okay with moving in.

Good luck and I hope it works out for the best.

Photobucket

xXxLillithxXx
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Yeah talk to the neighbors...but in my opinion go for it...I've lived in the "bad side" of towns most of my life so I guess its just comfortable for me...But if you have an opportunity to own a house definately go for it.

billsfan1104
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Thank you guys.  I am soooo nervous.  I think that a security system and a privacy fence will help ease my fears.  I love the house.  It has so much potential.  The bathroom, looks like a spa bathroom.  Oh God I am scared to be takng this step.

sati769leigh
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM

roof around 5 grand , windows about 2-3 grand. you call that minimal? yikes

ok you first need someone who has the right credentials to actually take a looksee at the place. and list for you all its BAD POINTS. things that need to be fixed that are potential MAJOR and MINOR issues.

next spend some time checking the neighborhood. section 8 folks are often given a bad rap by just BIGORTY and JUDGEMENT without proof. but you do want to eget a feel about drug dealing, crime etc. take you TIME here. every few days go out there at DIFFERENT HOURS with someon as a partner. walk the blocks smell the air, listen, look. you will know if people are judging or if the hazards are real if you check them out YOURSELF. listen to your GUT on this.

walk around during the day too. do people take pride in thier yards? or let them run mostly wild? this is a HUGE indicator as to the type of folks living there.

have the basement TOTALLY CHECKED OUT. is this an older house or a newer? if its older the basement likely flooods during rain storms this is something you need to know to be able to use the basement properly.. ok?

Quoting billsfan1104:

OK I need help.  The only way I can purchase a house is through a rent to own situation.  I found a perfect house, that need minimal work to it, and the work can be tacked on to the mortgage.  I.E new roof, windows etc.  I talked to the neighbor across the street, and he said my side of the street is the good part.  The other side, past my house and past another street, is the section 8, drug dealing, slumlord part of town.  He told me that the only worries he would have, is the people down the street, but for the most part, they keep to themselves.  I looked on the inside and the kitchen is brand new, the bathroom is brand new.  The only thing I would do, is put in a privacy fence, shed, new roof, windows and some landscaping.  My older daughter loves it and wants to do so much to it.  The good thing, is it is near both their private schools, and near everything else. 

Would this be something you would purchase and just put an alarm system in and do the work?  I loved the house.  The guy told me also, he would put on the roof for me and brand new windows and gutter for a fair price and I can pay him back in installments. He said my next door neighbor is the type of neighbor that would help me bring in the groceries, shovel my walk, and also watch over my house. 

Please someone give me some advice.  I would appreciate it. 

Thanks,

azpreemiemom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I would not purchase that home. It will effect your home values and it will appreciate a lot slower than other homes. Also, if you send your kids to public school, these are the kids your kids will be going to school with. I just wouldn't do it.

billsfan1104
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:35 PM

very great points sati.  I would have a home inspector first, take a look at it.  The neighbor across the street, who told me all these things, owns his own roofing company and it would cost me about 2-5 grand for the roof and windows, because the roof is small.  I was already going to go there in the evening, to see what it is about and so forth.  I know alot of section 8 renters, get a bad rap, but the slumlords dont do anything about the drugs or the look of the houses.  I am going to check with the next door neighbor and ask his opinion and see what he say. 

My kids go to a private school, so that is ok.  The neighbor who lives across the street from the druggies, I guess calls the cops on them all the time, but his house and yard is immaculate, so is a couple of the other houses.  I dont know how much it would appreciate in time.  i am just hoping that Maybe they will get rid of the rif raf and the slumlords.  I personally think, that if you are going to be renting out your house, you should at least live in the same state, or have a property manager.

lramey
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:36 PM

do a little more research and get everything in writing about the payments.  but it sounds like a good deal

FL2AK
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM

It does not take much for crime and less desirable people to take over a neighborhood. We learned this the hard way with our first home that we purchased.  It was a great house in what appeared to be a really nice neighborhood.  Later after we moved in we discovered a good portion of the street was rentals.  In a 2 year period it just got worse and worse.  Personally, no I would not.  I would wait until you are able to buy a home outright on your own.  With buying from an individual in a rent to own situation you really need a lawyer to look over everything to make sure you are not getting screwed. 

Septpreggo
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:52 PM

ok so section 8 people are drug addicts ?

Septpreggo
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM

section 8 landlords cant be slumlords they have to have constant inspections

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)