Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i normally dnt worry about what others do with there kids BUT

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM
  • 15 Replies
I one thing I can stand seeing is kids in the wrong type of carseats! Now I'm not one of those who thinks they should be rear facing til 5 BUT at least in the safest one for their child, DD is 4 almost 5 and I still have her in a high back booster with the harness, she is fairly tall around 43in but only weighs about 35lbs...anyways I'm always seeing my friends put their kids in the wrong carseat...ex one started putting her baby in a high back booster at 18months old! Another one has a three year old who is in a no back booster with normal seatbelt! These kids are NOT safe, I never say anything but it drives me crazy seeing this it kinda brakes my heart cuz if they ever get in a crash these kids are gone! I also knew this girl who tried putting her kids infant sear forward facing! I made her change it before I would drive...or I went to school with this stupid girl who didn't buckle her infant seat at all! How can mothers put their childs safetly at risk? Or and another girl I knew would only buckle the top buckle on the harness!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM

some people just dont know that there are differerent types of boosters for their growing kids.

hell before I joined CM I had never seen or heard of a kid older than 3 in a rear facing harnessed booster

sweet.lil.mama
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:55 PM

that is scary. i don't ERF my son but i will harness him to 65 lbs. but a high back booster at 18 mon?? thats not even right...

brae425
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:59 PM
I get that to a point but a 3yr old in a no back boost with a normal seatbelt or high back booster at 18m doesn't even looks safe!

Quoting sandra_t00:

some people just dont know that there are differerent types of boosters for their growing kids.

hell before I joined CM I had never seen or heard of a kid older than 3 in a rear facing harnessed booster

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tata_Lynn

I generally agree, ppl do a lot of weird things

My son is goin to be 3 in july and weighs 40 lbs. he uses both a booster chair and full front facing carseats that is made till he if 5 years old.

I would put him in the booster till he fit the weight  requirement and everything.

What bugs me the most is when i dont see a child in a carseat at all....that is what scares me

mamalinzie

When the specifications on the backless booster say "1year and 30lbs" what do you expect?  I think its incredibly wrong for the manufacturers to okay children under 4 using a belt positioning booster seat. But until people take some personal responsibility and educate themselves on best practice and why, you will continue to see children improperly restrained and car accidents will continue to be the #1 killer of kids in this country.

Kaybean
by Kayleen on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM
I personally WOULD say something. If its people you know, I see no reason why you can't kindly give them info. A lot of parents honestly don't know better and would benefit from someone informing them. "y best friend tried putting her son in a booster at 18 months as well because he was 30 lbs and the seat said 30 lbs so she thought it was okay. I spoke up right away and he's back in a harnessed seat. I'm also a EH and ERF supporter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM

We ERF and will with this new little bean and DD will never be in a booster. She will be in a 5 point harness till she is old enough to not be in a car seat. Some ppl just either dont know, ore dont care. 

jasminesmom09
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:07 PM

you mean he's in a 5-point harness?

Quoting Tata_Lynn:

I generally agree, ppl do a lot of weird things

My son is goin to be 3 in july and weighs 40 lbs. he uses both a booster chair and full front facing carseats that is made till he if 5 years old.

I would put him in the booster till he fit the weight  requirement and everything.

What bugs me the most is when i dont see a child in a carseat at all....that is what scares me

Generated image
Doing lots of improvments, hoping you will join us

mamalinzie
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I also want to add that there are a lot of things I see everyday in car seats that are just as dangerous as toddlers in booster seats.

1) Loose harness straps.  If its not snug against their bodies, they can be ejected

2) Shoulders above the harness slots for FF.  This can cause spinal compression in an accident, which damages the childs spinal cord and leaves their limbs paralyzed.

3) Chest clip too low. It needs to be even with with their armpits. If its on their belly, it can cause severe abdominal injuries.

4) Car seat installed with both lower anchors and seat belt.  This puts too much stress on the seat and the harness will rip through the seat and the child will be ejected. Use either the lower anchors OR the seatbelt, which ever gives you the best install.

5) For kids in boosters, no shoulder belt, or the shoulder belt behind their back/under their arm. This will put an enormous amount of stress on the childs abdomen, causing severe damage to the internal organs and lower spine. Google search Brynn Duncan for a real life story of the horrors of only using a lap belt.

6) Bulky clothes/coats under the harness. It says right in the manuals not to do this. Bulky clothes compress, which leaves extra slack in the harness. Extra slack in the harness can cause the child to be ejected. There are plenty of ways to keep kids safe and warm in the car during the winter. I live in Northern Michigan. I know it can be done!

brae425
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:11 PM
I never knew it said that...and ill be honest I don't know the exact carseat laws, too me its just common since like I see pics on their myspace (only reason I know, I dnt generally hang out with these people) and most time they are sleeping and it just looks wrong!

Quoting mamalinzie:

When the specifications on the backless booster say "1year and 30lbs" what do you expect?  I think its incredibly wrong for the manufacturers to okay children under 4 using a belt positioning booster seat. But until people take some personal responsibility and educate themselves on best practice and why, you will continue to see children improperly restrained and car accidents will continue to be the #1 killer of kids in this country.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)