Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You "Pay It Forward"?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM
  • 39 Replies

Here is about the movie, if you haven't seen it before!

Young Trevor McKinney, troubled by his mother's alcoholism and fears of his abusive but absent father, is caught up by an intriguing assignment from his new social studies teacher, Mr. Simonet. The assignment: think of something to change the world and put it into action. Trevor conjures the notion of paying a favor not back, but forward--repaying good deeds not with payback, but with new good deeds done to three new people. Trevor's efforts to make good on his idea bring a revolution not only in the lives of himself, his mother and his physically and emotionally scarred teacher, but in those of an ever-widening circle of people completely unknown to him.

A school social studies assignment leads to social changes that spread from city-to-city. Assigned to come up with some idea that will improve mankind, a young boy decides that if he can do three good deeds for someone and they in turn can "pay it forward" and so forth, positive changes can occur. What appears to initially be a failure, is indeed a success that is not immediately known but is traced backwards by a reporter who is a benefactor. The initial recipients of the boy are a drug addict, his badly scarred school teacher, and a classmate who is constantly bullied by his peers. While physically and mentally scarred by past events, the teacher is not the only one bearing scars. The young boy fears his mother's fate, particularly at his brutal, alcoholic father's hands. The mother also bears scars from her childhood with a homeless, alcoholic mother.

Do you try to "pay it forward"? Like, do you try to do good deeds for people, not because you HAVE to, but because you WANT to, and you know it's the right thing to do?

I honestly try to. But I can't always do it. If I see a fellow mom with a basket full of groceries, towing like 4 kids, yeah I'm going to open the door for her. I mean it's not as dramatic as in the movie, but at least I made her day a little easier.

What kinds of things have you done to "pay it forward"?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SavageMom86
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM

BUMP!

SavageMom86
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Wow, noone does anything nice for anyone else? That is honestly, really sad to me. =-(

JJJMommyKris
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:16 PM

BUMP!

SavageMom86
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:17 PM

BUMP!

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM

As much as I can. I have made up the difference of peoples grocery's at the store if they are short so they don't have to put anything back. I have bought formula and diapers for a lady that I saw at the park. I do stuff for people all the time if I am able to do it

SASSY762

jcsg
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I think most of us do good things for strangers.  Big and small.  But, the whole point of paying it forward is to NOT brag about or even admit it. 

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I do it because it thrills me to be sneaky.I also enjoy facial expressions at pleasant surprises.I know,I am a sicko..........

Vandyswife
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:22 PM

yesterday. it wasntmuch but this lady was getting her fruit with WIC and she went over by 22 cents and ddnt have the money. so instead of putting back the fruit for her kids, I paid the 22 cents.

I dont ever expect anything in return though.... but this lady didnt even say thank you. so it was really discouraging.

Vandyswife
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM

haha....

Quoting laranadtony:

I do it because it thrills me to be sneaky.I also enjoy facial expressions at pleasant surprises.I know,I am a sicko..........

sati769leigh
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM

yes i do

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)