Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Old People!!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it rude or disrespectful?

Options:

Yes

No

Other~ Please Explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

My sd (age 14) refers to the eldery as old people or an old person.  It drives me nuts because it sounds disrespectful and now my 2 kids have said it a couple of times.  Is referring to the eldery as "an old lady", "old person", or "old people" rude or disrespectful?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
.thickie.thick.
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:59 PM
No..that's what they are...so?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Just_Bethy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:59 PM

No...They are old..and they are people...lol..When I was a kid they were "Crumblies" or "coffin dodgers"  or "fogies" ..That's disrespectful...lol

nebraskamomto2
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM

So, if I was at a nursing home with my kids and said something to my dd, like "hey, got over and talk to that old lady".  Do you think the people living in that nursing home would mind? 

ForeverMeme
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM

They are elders.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM

My sons fathers day poem won a little award. And the people at the nursing home loved it too..We dont find "old people" an offensive term

I Am The Dad:
My job is to help the old people, I ride my bike home. Then I study my college on my computer. For I am the Dad.
I like to play Guitar Hero, I watch WWE, I wrestle with my sons! For I am the Dad.
I love my family, and I am nice to them, I love my mom by helping her do things she needs help with. For I am the Dad.

ForeverMeme
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Quoting nebraskamomto2:

So, if I was at a nursing home with my kids and said something to my dd, like "hey, got over and talk to that old lady".  Do you think the people living in that nursing home would mind? 

I think they deserve respect. I would never add the word 'old'.......

Just_Bethy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Quoting nebraskamomto2:

As ...an adult ..in a situation that I might be over heard..I would use a more polite term and show a little more respect..In a nursing home..where most are elderly..I would just say Lady as the fact she is old is given...I use the term 'Elderly' myself..now..lol...

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

theycallmemom4
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Why would you say old lady as opposed to that lady?

Quoting nebraskamomto2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)