Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Donating Cord Blood

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:21 PM
  • 22 Replies

Anyone else done it? I'm having my baby is 7 weeks and we are donating the cord blood, but I didn't know it was an option with my first so I've never done it before. I have to wait for my kit to come and then call them after to pick it up, but does anyone know whats involved with collecting the blood? It says a nurse will collect it...I don't really know what that entails. I'm pretty sure it won't hurt, I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should know.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:40 PM

No, I've never done it, nor do I know anything about it. I'd ask the hospital how they handle that specifically if you'd like more details.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Why would you donate it and not keep it for your family???

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I have Erins cord blood stored for our family if needed.  Of course it doesn't hurt they take it out of the cord once its been removed from the baby.  Make sure you tell EVERYONE what your doing and remind them.  Keep the kit with you and call the number as soon as baby is delivered.  They will show up within 24 hrs right to your room to collect the kit.  Then they test it in their lab to make sure it is enough and good enough quality then they store it for you.

It is amamzing the things that can be treated with cord blood right now and its only going to get better as more research comes.  It works for the child who it came from and it can also work for siblings and other relatives.  Hope storing it is what you meant not donating.  Smart choice IMO

RedMomma4
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:04 PM

I donated ds's cord blood. I didn't have to wait for a kit or anyone to pick it up, the hospital took care of all of that. Basically they just use a needle to extract all of the blood from the cord. it won't hurt you or the baby.  I did have to fill out a bunch of paperwork in order to do it though.

I'm the mother of four wonderful children. Three dd's ages 9, 6 and 4 (our 4 yr old is our autism princess) and a newborn ds. I'm a cosleeping, ebf, overprotective and delay-vaxing mother who works full time from home; most of the time.

family in the van

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Yeah, a nurse or the dr will just take the blood out of the cord using a needle.  That's after the cord has been cut.  Then the company will come pick it up.

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:08 PM

It's free to donate but it's expensive to store it for your own family.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Quoting RedMomma4:

I donated ds's cord blood. I didn't have to wait for a kit or anyone to pick it up, the hospital took care of all of that. Basically they just use a needle to extract all of the blood from the cord. it won't hurt you or the baby.  I did have to fill out a bunch of paperwork in order to do it though.

If I may ask...why did  you donate instead of store incase your child needs it in the future or maybe another family member?  Really just curious.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Quoting Kellileanne:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I guess I get that but I want it available in case.  I didn't think it was that expensive considering what its for any we have very small monthy payments.

Aydans_Mommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:13 PM
I have some stored. DS is my only child
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NickiNavarro
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Kellileanne:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I guess I get that but I want it available in case.  I didn't think it was that expensive considering what its for any we have very small monthy payments.

I don't think it's expensive "considering" however you either have the money or you don't, we don't. I would rather donate than just discard it as with my first child, I wish we had known.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)